Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 12.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Enclosing Deed for 500 Acres purchased from Manukau.Omanu, Wairoa River,
Kaipara, 18th December, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose a deed from the Native Chief Manukau of the Uriohau tribe to the Crown, giving up a piece of land guaranteed to contain Five hundred acres which I have purchased for the sum of Fifty pounds.

The circumstance which led to this purchase was, that Manukau offered a large block on the rivers Wairoa and Otamatea, the merits of which I was unable to investigate through the various stages necessary before purchase, on account of a press of more urgent business in another locality, and from the difficulty I have experienced in making an equitable bargain with this Chief. I coul page 99not make him any advance on account; but, as he was anxious for cash, and having a strong voice in affairs here, I thought the most advisable plan was to make a purchase for a definite portion in the manner which has been done; so that, in the event of my not being able to agree with Manukau about the large block, no disadvantage will accrue to the public interest.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Land Commissioner,
&c,, &c.