Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure 1. — F.D. Fenton, Esq., R.M., to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

Enclosure 1.
F.D. Fenton, Esq., R.M., to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Kaipara, December 1st, 1854.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to call your attention to the urgent necessity which exists for the immediate completion of the purchase of the Tokatoka Block of land on this river. Apart from the urgent political reasons which exist for the immediate acquisition of this property by the British Government, the natural advantages of position, and the peculiar physical character of the Wairoa River; render this locality the only one available for the Government officers of this district. It is situated midway between the districts of country at present occupied by merchants and visited by ships, is equi-distant from, and will form a good neutral territory between the Ngapuhi and Ngatiwhatua tribes, recently at war, and possesses the only natural landing place for many miles in each direction. I fear that the price demanded by the Natives will be large, as they are well aware of the importance of the place, but I trust that no insurmountable difficulties will be found to the acquisition of this territory. Let me, however, remind you that the expense of making a landing place for the Custom-house will in all probability far exceed the difference in price between the Tokatoka Block and any other of similar extent, and I would urge you, if not incompatible with the instructions received by you from the Government, to complete the acquisition of this territory whenever you visit this river for the purpose of arranging Mr. O'Brien's claim.

I have, &c.,

Francis D. Fenton,
Resident Magistrate.

The District Commissioner, &c., &c.,
Whangarei.