Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

page 62

No. 7.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Has purchased the Takahiwae Block.Land Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, August 2nd, 1854.

Sir,—

With reference to the 5th clause of your letter of instructions, dated the 18th of May, on the subject of native, reserves, I have the honor to inform you that I have purchased a tract of Fifteen hundred acres, having a frontage to a creek called the Takahiwae, in order that the land occupied by the natives at that place might be separated by that creek from the Government land.

Independently of these considerations, the water frontage to the creek affords a communication to the back country, without which it would not have been taken up by the settlers eventually.

The amount which I have paid is Seventy-five pounds (£75), and the Deed is enclosed herewith; and I have the honor to request that I may be relieved to that amount of the public moneys in my charge.

I have, &c.,

John Grant. Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Land Commissioner.