Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Whangarei.Whangarei, 19th September, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward herewith an offer from the Native owners of the several islands (as enumerated in the margin)* to sell them to the Government.

The first two are situated at the North Head of Whangarei, and are small bare rocks with a Pohutukawa tree or two on them.

The third is a small green island, of about one acre in extent, near the Nova Scotian settlement at the Heads.

The fourth is the small island near to the land occupied by Mr. Aubrey, about half an acre in extent.

The remaining four are either sandbanks or mangrove swamps in the Whangarei River, of no use or value.

I declined to negotiate with the Natives for these islands, but, on their pressing the sale, and at their request, I agreed to submit their offer for your consideration.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.

* 1. Motutahi. 2. Motuokura. 3. Motu Kawau. 4. Motu Karoro. 5. Pouroa. 6. Okoko. 7. Tongamaru. 8. Ko Mapuro.