Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 62. — Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 62.
Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Whangarei.—Offer for Sale of Te Haukanapanapa.Whangarei, 30th July, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to hand you herewith a letter which I wrote for Mohi Te Peke (a Native of Ngunguru), at his dictation.

It conveys his assent to sell a piece of land called Te Haukanapanapa, situated on the road between Whangarei and Ngunguru, about four, miles from the former. It is bounded on one side by the Kaurihohore Block; is of excellent quality, and will lead to several other large and valuable blocks in its neighbourhood which will be offered for sale to the Government. Its extent I am unable to state; but this point is immaterial, as this purchase made will settle the long-existing disputes and rival claims between the Whangarei and Ngunguru Natives on all the lands in its neighbourhood.

I beg most respectfully to suggest that I may be allowed to negotiate with the Natives for its purchase, and make the necessary survey.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. W. Fox,
Colonial Secretary.