Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 58. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 58.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Whangarei.—Respecting offer by Natives of a Block inland of Kaurihohore.Auckland, 30th September, 1859.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter of 1st August last, requesting me to proceed to Whangarei for the purpose of making enquiries into the offer of land referred to in Sir Osborne Gibbes' letter to His Excellency the Governor, I have the honor to acquaint you, for His Excellency's information, that at a meeting of the principal Native claimants to the land situated inland of Kaurihohore Block, it was agreed by the parties to dispose of some land in that locality, which was formerly offered on the 23rd and 27th of August. After my return from Pataua and Ngunguru, I received your letter requesting me to proceed forthwith to Pakiri, and I had, therefore, no time to examine the ground. I am informed by Mr. Bedliugton that the probable extent of this offer is 10,000 or 12,000 acres, in which there is a good proportion of volcanic land, and submit that I may be authorized to employ that gentleman in perambulating and surveying the boundaries of the land, as he is well acquainted with the Natives, has an extensive knowledge of the country, and is a first-class surveyor.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Thos. H. Smith, Esq.,
Assistant Native Secretary,
Auckland.