Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 42. — The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

No. 42.
The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Ohiwa.Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 25th June, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor by direction of His Excellency to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 27th May in reference to the Ohiwa Block at Whangarei, negotiations for Which cannot at present be continued at a price so much beyond that of ordinary rural, land in the District.

page 80

The eligibility moreover of the land for the site of a Township is disputed, nor does it seem advisable to buy it while leaving the extreme point of the Peninsula in native hands. Under these circumstances, therefore, I have to inform you that His Excellency's Government cannot sanction the purchase as recommended by you.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith,
For the Chief Commissioner.

John Grant Johnson, Esq.,
District Commissioner, Whangarei.