Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 31 — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 31
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Enclosing Surveys of Lands which are to be re-purchased by the Natives.Wellington, 8th May, 1856.

Sir,

I have the honor to enclose two surveys of land over which the Natives have been guaranteed a right of purchase at the rate of Ten shillings (10s.) per acre, situated in the Maunga Karamea Block at Whangarei; and also to request that you will be kind enough to receive the purchase money at Auckland, when tendered by the applicants or their authorised agent.

page 72

The Mangapai Reserve contains Three-hundred and eighty-six (386) acres; and the price will accordingly amount to One hundred and ninety-three pounds (£193). The grant has been arranged to be issued in the joint names of Hemi Pea, Eruera Toenga, and Paora Keri, sons of the late Chief Motutara.

The Mahakitahi Reserve contains One hundred and thirty (130) acres, and the price will amount to Sixty-five pounds (£65); and the Natives request the Deed of Grant for this section to be made out in the joint names of Tirarau and Te Ahiterenga.

The Maunga Karamea Block can now be safely handed over to the Province; the external survey having been completed, with the exception of the place called Kaiahopukia, Kahuera, and Paraoanui; all of which are situated on the Western boundary, and have been laid claim to by the Ngatimauku, a portion of whom reside with the Te Uri-o-Hau tribe.

I much regret that these places are claimed by the Natives, as it is the first case in which any of the purchases in the Whangarei District have been disputed; but the present state of the block has arisen from a native quarrel over which I had no control, originating about land in another part of the District, and which, by a combination of circumstances, frustrated the arrangements which I had made for the perfect settlement of the Maunga Karamea purchase

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esquire,
Chief Land Commissioner, &c., &c.