Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 26. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

page 69

No. 26.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Ruarangi.Forwarding Deed of Conveyance.District Land Commissioner's Office,
Wangarei, 10th October, 1855.

Sir,—

I beg to enclose the Deed of the Ruarangi purchase, in the district of Whangarei, with a translation annexed. A little explanation is necessary in this case to prevent confusion in the accounts.

The amount authorized for this purchase was Seven hundred pounds, with which amount I was furnished by Mr. Commissioner McLean. Three hundred and fifty pounds (£350) of this amount was paid to the Natives of Whangarei, and One hundred and seventy-five pounds (£175) to the Ngatiwhatua in Auckland. The remaining Hundred and seventy-five pounds, I kept in my possession, to pay to the Ngatiwhatua of Kaipara when I went there, intending to obtain all their signatures to the Deed collectively for the Seven hundred pounds (£700). In the meantime-Matikikuha (I believe the name was) went to Auckland, and received the One hundred and seventy-five pounds (£175) for the Ngatiwhatua of Kaipara from Mr. Commissioner McLean, so that deed or receipt from him must not be brought separately to account; but appended to the enclosed Deed, which acknowledges a receipt of Seven hundred pounds, while Five hundred and twenty-five (£525) is all that has been actually paid by me; and I must, be charged with the One hundred and seventy-five (£175) in my possession which was advanced by Mr. Commissioner McLean at Auckland, in lieu of the similar sum which I hold, intended to be paid by myself.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Commissioner for the Purchase of Land.

The Acting Principal Commissioner, &c.,
Auckland.