Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 25. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 25.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Maunga Karamea.Forwarding Deed of Conveyance.District Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, 10th October, 1855.

Sir,

I have the honor to enclose the Deed of Conveyance from the Natives to the Crown of the Maunga Karamea, upon which I have paid the sum of Two thousand pounds (£2,000). The boundaries have now been satisfactorily defined and set out, and I have to request that the remaining Seven hundred pounds may be sent to me per steamer "Wonga Wonga" at the next opportunity, as Tirarau will not consent to divide the money until the whole amount is received. With reference to my letter of the 10th ultimo, on the subject of the portions over which the Natives would require preemptive right of purchase in this block, I have the honor to inform you that the Tangihua reserve has been abandoned altogether, and that the Mangapai is to be reduced to something like Four hundred acres (400 acres). The hundred pounds (£100) for the cultivations on the banks of Otaika River will also be required, about which I also wrote on the 10th ultimo. The price for this block was so large that I felt it my duty to gain this concession from the Natives, in conjunction with other points, as explained in my report to Mr. Commissioner McLean of the 30th May last, and circumstances have compelled me to include it in one transaction with the Maunga Karamea, purchase, and consequently it must be regarded as part of an arrangement which the Government are bound to carry out. Under this view of the case I beg to send to you a cheque for One hundred pounds to enable you to procure the Eight hundred pounds which I require without the delay of procuring an advance in the usual way.

I have, &c.,

John GrantJohnson,
District Land Commissioner.

Henry T. Kemp, Esq., J.P.,
Deputy chief ommissioner, Auckland.