Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 24. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 24.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Wharcora.—Reporting offer of a Block of 10,000 Acres. District Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, September, 1855

Sir,

I have the honor to submit for the approval of His Excellency the Governor the offer of the native chiefs named below* to sell a block of land situated at the head of the North branch of the Harbour of Whangarei, and estimated to contain about Ten thousand acres, for the sum of Seven hundred and fifty pounds (£750).

I had the honor to recommend the purchase of this block to the Government so far back as 1853, but the opposition raised by a portion of the native population at that time to the purchase of land was so great, that the sale could not be effected without the risk of a collision between those who were in favour of, and those who were against, disposing of their joint prpperty to the Crown.

I am happy to state that the natives of this district now begin to see the benefit of European settlers locating amongst them, notwithstanding the disputes which will sometimes arise between individuals, and that the most violent opponents which I formerly had to contend with are now coming forward to join in the sale.

The Whareora Block (the name by which this tract of land is known) is rather broken and hilly, but is valuable from its being immediately adjoining the principal settlement in this harbour, and the price has been reduced in consequence to a rate which I have calculated will be fair towards the Natives, and remunerative to the public. The European settlement at the Awatawhiti, which is only separated by a small stream from the Whareora Block, is the oldest settlement in, the place. The whole extent of it is only about two thousand five hundred acres, which have been subdivided into some twenty farms, which are being rapidly improved and brought under cultivation, but the settlers have no run for their cattle, neither have tney fencing or firewood on their, own block in sufficient quantity, and frequent petty disputes are occasioned by their crossing the creek and trespassing on the Native land to relieve their want in these respects; but should His Excellency authorize the completion of this purchase, they will have more room, and these causes of disputes with the Natives will be put an end to.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Commissioner for Purchase of Native Lands, Whangarei.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Land Commissioner, &c.

* W. Eru Pohe, Whare, Hine Waru, Te Manihers, Hirini Tiperu.