Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 11. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner-Johnson

No. 11.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner-Johnson.

To acquire certain information respecting Titles to Land.Land Purchase Department,
Whangarei, 12th November, 1854.

Sir,—

I think it would be very desirable to ascertain as nearly as you can the following particulars in reference to the native claims within the district which has already been; assigned to you.

Information of this kind seems to be so desirable not only for the present use of the Government, but for the future well-being of the Natives, that I would recommend it to your earnest attention, feeling assured that you will from time to time be able to note down such data as will be included under the following heads:—

• 1st. The original and derivative rights of conquest.
  • 2nd. The rights of occupancy by permission of owners.
  • 3rd. How these rights originated.
  • 4th. The division of boundaries between the different tribes inhabiting the country between the North Cape and the district of Auckland.

Information of this kind cannot fail to be of real service to yourself, and I need not add that it would be very acceptable to the Government, and to the Department, with which you are now intimately connected.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean, Principal Land Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq.,