Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 6a. — The Hon. Sir D. McLean to Mr. Brissenden

No. 6a.
The Hon. Sir D. McLean to Mr. Brissenden.

Objection to Survey of Otangaroa and Patoa.Auckland, 29th December, 1874.

Sir,—

I beg to inform you that I have learned by correspondence forwarded by Mr. Williams, K.M., that an objection is raised to the survey of Otangaroa and Te' Patoa by the chiefs Hongi Hika and Paora Ururoa, on the grounds that deposits upon these lands were paid to Turenui Naihi, Tamora, and Hohepa te Taha, without their knowledge or approval. I should like to hear from you on this subject, as nothing so tends to render transactions abortive as, attempts to get hold of two or three owners without the consent of the rest. In such a case natives consider that an effort is being made to take an individual advantage of them.

Rumours have also reached me that in sundry purchases reserves are being made by the Natives under agreement that, when all arrangements are completed, they are to dispose of them to private individuals. This would amount to the fact that the pick of the lands would be reserved at first and then pass into the hands of private persons, while all the refuse would become the property of the Government.

I have also a report from the Inspector of Surveys in which he complains that, in consequence of your action, Mr. Stephens has-been detained at Mangakahia for fifteen days, for which he, of course, charges; that you informed him that the Wairoa survey could not yet be gone on with; and yet that a few days after you put on another surveyor.

On all these points I shall be glad if you will give me a clear and explanatory statement.

I have, &c.,

D. McLean.

Mr. Brissenden.