Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 9. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp

No. 9.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp.

To Beport on Blocks of Land under offer in his Distrit. Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 8th September, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that you will furnish me, at your earliest convenience, with a report, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, of the lands under offer to the Government by the natives of your district, describing the position, extent, capabilities, price and probable time that it may take to complete the purchase of each block; together with the surveying strength that may be requisite in order io define the external boundaries and reserves for the natives in each purchase.

The boundaries of each block must be carefully perambulated, as well as the reserves for the natives, arid a plan made of the same to be attached to the Deed of Sale before any payment is made to the natives.

The periods at which monies will be required to complete purchases should be distinctly stated. Every exertion should be used during the spring and summer months to acquire such lands as may be approved by the Governmènt for the purposes of colonization.

I have, &c.,
Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., J.P.,
District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.