Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Land Commissioner

No. 5.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Land Commissioner.

Purchase of Parangiora and Wiroa Block. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 29th August, 1855.

Sir,—

Immediately upon my concluding the purchase alluded to in my letter of the, instant on behalf of Mr Thomas Hansen, at Purerua, the chiefs offered the adjoining block of land to the Government, known as Parangiora and Te Wiroa, which is, from its position and water-communication, likely to become very valuable. Aware that this block of land had been sought after by intending page 21settlers, I was anxious to complete the purchase, which I did for the sum of Two hundred pounds sterling (£200). The extent of the block may be from.' One thousand to fifteen hundred acres (1,000 to 1,500 acres), a large portion of which is flat, and, taken as a whole, in every way available for cultivation. It forms part of the large peninsula, having the Bay of Islands on the eastern side, and the long coast line to the north on the other, and is intersected by branches of the rivers Poukoura and Mangonui.

This land was offered and purchased from the chiefs named in the margin, and will, I have no doubt, be taken up by settlers so soon as it is advertised for selection and sale.* It has a considerable portion of water frontage, but timber on the ground is scarce. There are no native reserves within the block, so that the surveys may be made in a comparatively short time and at a trifling expense to the Government.

Deed of Sale enclosed.

The Deed, translation, &c., is herewith forwarded, and I trust that the purchase will meet with His Excellency's approval.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Gommissoner.

* Kingi Wiremu, Tareha; Hohaia, Waikato; Engi Hori, Era; Pakira, Tareha; Rata, and others.