Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 44. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to Dr. Edward Shortland, M.A., Native Secretary

No. 44.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to Dr. Edward Shortland, M.A., Native Secretary.

Requisition for £130.— Pukewhau, 468; Hikuwai, 45; Wahi Tapu, 4¼. Total, 517¼ acres.

Sir,—

District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands. 17th June, 1864.

I beg to report for the information and approval of the Government, that three (3) separate lots of land have been recently offered by the Chief Tango and other native claimants for sale. They are situated within and also join the limits of the present proclaimed Bay of Islands Settlement, and as they have all been surveyed at their own expense, I offered to pay the sum of one hundred and thirty pounds (£130) for the whole upon receiving a proper transfer of the plans for the Government, which, after some discussion, has been agreed upon, reserving a small Kainga out of the larger lot of 468 acres. The timber alone, which is scarce in the neighbourhood, must soon become of great value for fencing and other purposes.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

Edward Shortland, Esq.,
Native Secretary.

Mem.—Dr. Shortland, let it be sent.
16-7-64. W. Fox.