Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 20. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 20.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting on blocks which have been recently offered for sale. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 28th June, 1858.

Sir,—

Adverting to my letter of the 29th ultimo, I have now the honor to report in detail for the information of His Excellency's Government the Blocks of Land which have been recently offered for sale by the natives, and which I examined in the order in which they stand.

• No. 1. A Block of Land on the South side of the Kawa Kawa, including the district of the Rua Peka Peka, estimated to contain about (10,000) Ten thousand acres, offered for sale by Marsh Brown, Te Kuhanga, and other chiefs, and of which the small block offered by Nini as a gift to the Government forms a part.page 29
  • No. 2. A small Block of land called Patunui on the Eastern side of the Mangonui or Tareha's Bay, near the confluence of the Mangonui and Keri Keri rivers, estimated to contain about Three hundred acres (300), offered for sale by the Chief Waikato and others. Survey being carried on under Mr. Whitaker's instructions.
  • No 3. A Block called Te Kauri, in the same locality, joining Government Block known as Te Wiroa, estimated to contain about Five hundred acres (500), offered for sale by King William Te Hakiro. Survey being carried on also.
  • No. 4. A Block on the South side, and joining the Government Block known as Te Taraire, midway between the Bay of Islands and Whangaroa, estimated to contain (3,000 acres) Three thousand Acres, offered for sale by King George Kira and others.
  • No. 5. A small Block on the North Bank of Keri Keri, opposite proposed site of Township, known as Hikuwai, estimated at about Three hundred (300) acres, offered for sale by Tango, an influential and useful Assessor.Survey being carried on
  • No. 6. A small Block, joining site of Township, known as Te Wharau, a few acres only, in a commanding position, offered for sale by the Chief Ruhe and others.Survey completed.

The purchase of the whole or any of the abovementioned Blocks is respectfully recommended for the approval of his Excellency's Government.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.