Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 17. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 17.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting negotiations for a Block of 2,000 acres. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 7th May, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor that I have entered into negotiations with the natives for the purchase of a small Block of land of about Two thousand acres in extent, which, I think, may be got upon reasonable terms. It is situated between the districts of Waimate and Kawakawa, and forms a parof of the unsold land between Pakaraka on one side, and the Western shores of the Bay on the other.

The whole of this Block is available, comprising chiefly soil of the best description, and well supplied with timber and water, and would, if purchased, be the means of connecting the lands already acquired by private hands from the natives.

page 28

It also joins the Kawakawa Block, for which I have been some time in treaty. In the present instance the title is clear and indisputable, and I beg leave to recommend the purchase for His Excellency's approval.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.