Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 16. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner. Mawhe.—Respecting Completion of Survey

No. 16.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner. Mawhe.—Respecting Completion of Survey.

District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 17th March, 1858.

Sir,—

The survey of the Lake Omapere or Mawhe Block having been just completed, I avail myself of an early opportunity of submitting some farther particulars in reference to the acquisition of this block, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, in addition to those already furnished to your office in my report of the 3rd February, 1857, marked "Special."

2. I have the honor to report that the surveyor's estimate of the quantity corresponds with what I then reported—namely, about five thousand (5,000) acres.

I also stated that there were numerous claimants interested in the sale of this land.

The adjustment of these claims, followed by the survey of a few native reserves (presently in occupation) within the block will, I think, convince the natives of a liberal arrangement on the part of the Government, at the same time that it is proposed that at least one-half of the cost of the survey of these reserves should be borne by the Natives, forming, as it were, a deduction from the price which may be paid for the entire block.

3. With reference to the amount required for the purchase, I beg leave respectfully to submit the following points for consideration:

1st. Its position.

2nd. The number of claimants interested.

3rd. And thus desirable to abolish the native title as soon as possible.

On a previous occasion I had the honor of applying for an advance of Two thousand pounds (£2,000) for this and the Okaihau districts; but, as the natives have for the present declined to sell the Okaihau forest, I think that a sum of (£800 to £1,000) Eight hundred to One thousand pounds will be found sufficient to meet all the claims concerned. Enclosed is a requisition for the sum of One thousand pounds (£1,000);

It is proposed by the Natives that the payment should be made as soon as the map is completed by the surveyor, which will be in a few days. Taking the average value of the block as is stands, it is thought by good judges to be worth at least £5000.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purcbase Department, Auckland.