Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 10. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 10.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Forwarding Deeds and plan of Taraire and Whalcapalcu. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 8th January, 1857.

Sir,—

I have much pleasure in forwarding herewith the original deeds, accompanied by translations, of the blocks of land known as Te Taraireand Te Whakapaku, in the district of Whangaroa, for which the sum of Five hundred pounds (£500) has been paid to the natives.

Attached also to the deed is the survey made by Mr White, showing not only the extent, but the reserves which have been set apart for the natives. From this, survey it will be observed that the quantity ascertained does not fall very far short of the original rough estimate forwarded when the land was first offered for sale. The position, as well as junction wiith other blocks which have fallen into the hands of the Government, under scrip exchanges, and with good natural boundaries, will, I trust, recommend the purchase as a favourable one on the part of the Government.

The extent of Crown land in this locality cannot now be far short of ten thousand (10,000) acres.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.