Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Lieut.-Colonel St. John to Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell

Lieut.-Colonel St. John to Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell.

Takehue Block to be jturcha sed. Native Office (Land Purchase Branch), Wellington, 30th October, 1873.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter of the 27th September ultimo, on the subject of the Takehue- Block, Victoria Valley, I have the honor, by direction, to inform you that His Honor the Superinten dent of Auckland has signified his approval of the acquisition of this block on the terms which you mention as likely to be accepted by the native owners, viz., 3s. per acre.

I am therefore directed to request that you will, without delay, enter into negotiations for the purchase of the block in question, taking at the same time the utmost care as to what natives you deal with and how you deal with them, so as to make certain of securing to the Crown a safe title. In mentioning the rate of 3s. per acre; it is to be understood that this is to be the maximum pricei, and your endeavours should be directed to reduce it if possible. I have also to recommend you to obtain information from every available source, so as to obviate any future complication.

I append for your, guidance, a copy of an extract from instructions issued to you in November, 1871, by the Hon. Mr. McLean, which will apply to the present case.

I have, &c.,
J. H. H. St. John.

Lieut-Colonel McDonnell, Auckland.