Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 33. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 33.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Whangaroa (Pupuke Block) 19,003 acres Land Purchase Department, Bay of Islands, 5th November 1868.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of the Government, that the sum named in the margin was paid to the natives' for the Pupuke Block, in the District of Whangaroa, and the deed signed on the 8th ultimo' ah instalment of eighty pounds (£80) having been paid to Tamati Waaka and his brother, Turau, on the 30 th ultimo.

page 16

With reference to the removal of the kauri timber from within the block, on the Hokianga side to which an allusion is made in your letter transmitting the money, I am requested by Tamati Waaka to say, that, having received a fair share of the payment, any further claim to the timber in question, ceases on his own part and that of his people. The original deed is herewith enclosed, for which, please forward a receipt.

I have further to report that, soon after the payment was made, an offer of the remainder of this block was brought under discussion; of about the same extent, with more available land and valuable kauri timber, commanding the entire head, of the Whangaroa harbour, through whicli, also, the proposed new line of road will pass. Without evincing any undue desire to purchase I have entered so far upon negotiations, as to leave but little doubt of its acquisition within a reasonable time, and thus form together a suitable and, I think, a desirable site for a settlement.

I have, &c.

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.