Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 23. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 23.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Payment for Certain Blocks. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands. 12th September, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor the result of negotiations in the district of Mangonui, from whence I have just returned.
2.I have the pleasure to state that the whole of the arrangements, including the payments made as well as those fixed, have been concluded in a satisfactory manner. The plans of survey and other details of each block having been previously completed, and submitted for the inspection of the native sellers.page 12

The blocks which have been paid for stand thus, and are all of them connected by surveyed lines with former Government purchases, or with private lands, making, with but little interruption, one continuous and complete block:—

Blocks.AcresAmount paid.
Waiake6,950£220
Ohinu2,703£33 with £67 advanced through
Mr White.
Kaiawe1,375£58
Puheke, about6,000£300
Upper Kohumaru11,062£400
28,090£1,011

In addition to the foregoing are the two following blocks, which also join Ahipara, containing 9,470 acres of the finest larid, for which the sum of £800 has, been fixed; and the Mangatete block, of 4,880 acres, recovered under the Land Claims Act, for which no remuneration is required by the natives, making the total to be—

Acres.
Blocks paid for28,090
Do. payment fixed9,470
Do. recovered under the Land Claims Act, forming part of the entire
quantity surveyed4,880
Total, 42,440 acres.
5.By the next conveyance I hope to be able to forward the plans and descriptions of these blocks, the native title to which has now been extinguished. Mr White and myself are able, in the meantime, to report them as ready for survey and occupation without any delay whatever.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.