Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 19. — Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 19.
Mr Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Prices Fixed. District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 18th January, 1859.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, the result of negotiations for land witliin the district of Mangonui, from whence I have recently returned.

Kindly assisted by Mr White, our attention was principally given to fixing the prices for the three following blocks of land, which had already been examined by us, viz.:
  • No. 1. Kohumaru Block, estimated to contain about ten thousand-acres (10,000), for which we offered the sum of three hundred and fifty pounds (£350), but which, for the present, has been declined by the natives.
  • No. 2. The Puheke Block, estimated to contain about eight, thousand acres (8,000 acres), for which the sum of three hundred pounds (£300) has been fixed.
  • No. 3. Keihana's, or the Upper Aurere Block, estimated to contain about five thousand (5,000 acres), for which the sum of two hundred and twenty pounds (£220) has been fixed.

The above-mentioned blocks are all within a short distance of the harbour and township of Mangonui. The 1st, or Kohumaru Block;, is easily accessible by water, and although the surface is very broken, there is much of the land that is desirable, with a plentiful supply of timber, including some very fine kauri.

Nos. 2 and 3 join each other, and are open undulating land, with a great part flat. They form a part of Doubtless Bay, and are an extension of the Mangonui Country District. The soil is light and poor, and fitted principally for grazing.

These purchases, if completed, will connect a long line of country North of; Mangonui, over which the native title will have been extinguished.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.