Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 18. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr., Commissioner Kemp

page 10

No. 18.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr., Commissioner Kemp.

As, to the naming of Blocks of Land. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 12th October, 1858.

'Sir,—

Adverting to your letter of the 22nd ult., enclosing a communicatioh from Mr. W.' B. White, and recommending the purchase of two blocks of land named, Kohumaru and Maungataniwha, which you state were negotiated for in accordance with my instructions of the 28th October last, I have the honor to make thefollowingobservations thereupon:—

1st. The letter referred to by you was based upon an offer made byHeremia Te Ara to dispose of a Block named Matawherohia.

2nd. You were requested on the 22nd January last to carry on negotiations for the purchase of the Matawherohia Block, and to report the probable cost and area thereof.

3rd. In your letter of the 22nd ult you speak of the two Blocks Kohumaru and Maungataniwha under names which have not been previously used, stating at the same time that these blocks were referred to in my communication ot the 28th October last

It is obvious, therefore, either that Kohumaru and Maungataniwha must be other names for one and the same block, previously known as Matawherohia, or that one block has been confounded with another.

To prevent the recurrence of any mistakes in future, you will be good enough in reporting a block in any stage of its acquisition:

To give, on the first mention thereof, the principal name by which the block is known, and strictly to adhere to such name in all after communications.

2nd. To refer to former letters, if any, on same subject, giving the number and date thereof; and in acknowledging receipt of letters sent hence, to adhere to the same rule—all communications issued from this office being numbered on the first page..

It will readily occur to you, from the above observations, how liable any person unacquainted with the localities is to fall into unavoidable mistakes, being misled by names which are entirely new to him. If these blocks should be identical with that hitherto known as Matawherohia, you are already in possesion of the necessary authority for having the external boundaries surveyed, which service may be performed by the surveyor attached to your district.

I have, &c.,
Donald McLean, Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., J.P.,
District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.