Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 17.]

No. 17.

Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Recommending Purchase of these Blocks. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 22nd September, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward, for the information of His Excellency's Government, the enclosed copy of a letter from Mr. White in reference to the acquisition of two blocks of land which are immediately in the District of Mangonui. The negotiations for these blocks were entered upon agreeably with the instructions given in your letter of the 28th October, 1857, urging the acquisition of land in the neighbourhood of Mangonui, when available for colonization.

Mr. White now states that the natives have fallen in with our views with regard to the boundaries, the object having been to buy up the whole of the available land between the Oruru and Victoria Plains, and by this means' to connect the blocks as soon as possible. Having explored the country at the head of the Oruru Valley, I am able to report that a junction with the Victoria could be made with but little difficulty, thereby bringing the whole of that: fertile district into connection with the Port of Mangonui; and on the grounds also submitted in Mr. White's letter, would respectfully recommend the purchase for the approval of his Excellency the Governor.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.

Enclosure.
Mr. White to the District Commissioner.

Mangonui, September 7th, 1858.

Sir,—

The natives having consented to meet our views relative to the boundaries of Kohumaru Block and the Wai Kainga or Maunga Taniwha Block, which adjoins the Kohumaru, both of which overlap the Oruru Block surveyed by me, being most desirable purchases, I beg herewith to report them as ready for survey, and would recommend that the work be commenced as soon ss possible, as the payments for these blocks will hasten, the acquisition of the Victoria Valley, about which there has been much discussion of late; and, as you are aware, these lands will be a valuable acquisition, not only on account of the good soil, but fine timber. May I request your early attention to this communication?

I have, &c.,

W. B. White.

H. T. Kemp, Esq.,
District Commissioner.