Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 12.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting on Blocks near the North Cape. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 10th June, 1857.

Sir,—

In my communication dated the 20th April, No. 14, 1857, I had the honor of informing you of a journey I propose 'to undertake for the purpose of examining and entering into negotiations with the natives for certain blocks of land near Parengarenga (North Cape). I have now the pleasure to report my return from that expedition, and to state, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, the progress made towards the extinguishment of the native title over a considerable portion of available country within that district, In these arrangements I was favoured with the advice and assistance of Mr. White, who accompanied me throughout.

Enclosed I forward a rough sketch of the blocks we are in treaty for, as well as of those which have been already alienated by the natives, showing, as nearly as possible, their connection with each other.

At a rough estimate these cannot, I, think, in the whole be far short of forty thousand acres (40,000), thirty thousand (30,000) of which are included in the land now offered to the Government. They stand thus:—

• No. 1.—Muriwhenua (South): A rough estimate, about 25,000 acres.
  • No. 2.—Wharemaru: A rough estimate, about 3,000 acres.
  • No. 3.—Otengi (sketch not given): A small block adjoining the Oruru purchase, about 2,000 acres.
3.The boundaries of these blocks have already been carefully traversed, and were pointed out to us by the leading chiefs of the district, including Busby, Walker, King, Bobart, Clarke, and others, who are the principal sellers of the land. The negotiations have been conducted in the most public manner, and every facility given to claimants or other interested persons to appear.
4.The land comprised within these blocks is open and undulating; on the western shore a ridge of sand-hills prevails, but on the eastern side soil of a good description. The beautiful harbour of Houhora, or Mount Campbell, nearly central, affords easy communication, and makes it at all times accessible. The land in its present state is well adapted for sheep farming.
5.Adjacent to these blocks are two smaller ones near Ahipara and Rangiawhia: from the former a supply of useful timber can be obtained. The arrangements, however, for the purchase have been postponed at the instance of the native chiefs.

To these may be added also a portion, if not the whole of the Victoria Valley, which may in all probability be negotiated for in a few months, and forming altogether a valuable acquisition to the Crown lands in this district.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissoner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.