Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[XV.—Poverty Bay District.]

page 383

XV.—Poverty Bay District.

No. 1.

H. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Turanga, to the Chief Commissioner.

Poverty Bay.Transmitting Deed of Sale for Land purchased. Resident Magistrate's Court,
Turanga, 2nd February, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward you herewith the deed of sale to the Crown of about fifty-seven acres of land in this locality drawn up and signed in accordance with the instructions contained in your letter of the 6th December last.

Kahutia is universally admitted by the Natives here to be the only person having power to dispose of the land in question. The deed, however, is signed by himself, his brother (Manahi), his daughters (Katarina and Riperata), and their husbands (Petera and Mikaere), and, at his request, the name of his adopted grandson (Ranga Te Rangi) was added by Petera. I am not aware that the name of any one belonging to his family is wanting. The names of Hone Hira, his wife (Paraire) Hemi Kepa, and others of less importance are to the deed.

I have not affixed any measurements to the plan, but, as I furnished them to you on the plan accompanying my letter of the 27th of November last, they can be added in your office, if required.

I am happy to report that very little difficulty has been experienced in obtaining the signatures to this deed.

I have, &c.,

Herbert Wardell,
Resident Magistrate.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.

Memorandum.

This purchase has been concluded in accordance with instructions and form of deed furnished to Mr. Wardell from this office for his guidance.

I submit that this transaction may be brought under His Excellency's notice for approval.

Donald McLean.

11th March, 1857.

Memorandum

Recommended that His Excellency approve the transaction.

C. W. Richmond.

11th March, 1857.

Memorandum.

Approved.—T. G. B.—

12th March, 1857.

No. 2.
Meeting held in Court House, Napier, 29th November, 1873.

Patutahi.Relative to the Division of the Block.

PresentHon. D. McLean and Chiefs Tareha, Ihaka Whanga, Hamana Tiakiwai, Te Muera.

Mr. McLean to Ihaka: I do not think you were present when I spoke to the Napier Natives relative to the partition of the Patutahi Block between the Government, Ngatiporou, and Ngatikahungunu; it was then stated that the land had not been surveyed. Since then it has been done, and the Ngatiporou share has been decided. Ngatiporou have disposed of their share to Government for £5,000; what remains is between you, Ngatikahungunu, and Government. At the meeting at Waiohiki I offered to give the Heretaunga Natives money instead of land, which they refused. They would wait until the survey was completed. Tareha is now present as the representative of the Napier Natives. Since then the Commission has sat at Poverty Bay, to decide claims to confiscated land which was to be returned to the resident Natives of Poverty Bay, who were frequently remonstrated with, and warned not to take up arms against the pakeha; notwithstanding which they persisted in their defiant attitude, and now it is hopeless to expect this Patutahi block of land will ever be returned to them.

Mr. McLean to Hamana: This is a word to you about Hapimana's demand to me at Wellington for land to be returned; this cannot be acceded to, especially when demanded as a right in an angry manner; not one acre will be obtained by such an attitudes. Those people persisted in their evil course, and the result was they lost both men and land. Waikato and Tarahaki acted in the same manner, and suffered accordingly. It is no wish of mine that the people should be the sufferers by their folly, and I hope they will not be so in future; you know I am using my best endeavours to initiate a better state of affairs.

Tareha: I support a portion of what you said. In the first place, the Natives were looked down upon by the generality of Europeans, who said our skins and thoughts were both dark, and not clear like theirs. It was you who first recognized our position, and made it your duty to assist them to the utmost of your power. It was through your exertions that we were represented in Parliament; myself and Karaitiana have both been returned for this district, and I was under the impression that you ought to be supported by those whom you had raised to that position. While I was a member I gave you my hearty support, and we always discussed Maori questions. I resigned my seat of my own free will. When the former Government were defeated, and you took office, I said to you that page 384 you were to be careful how you followed the example of the former Government, which slew the people and took the land. After you took office the fight at Taupo took place, where the people were punished for their crimes, but the land was not taken as it was in Waikato and other places. What you say, that nothing would be gained by a defiant demand for land to be returned, is good, and we will talk the matter over quietly.

Mr. McLean: I spoke to Hamana that he might understand that nothing was to be gained by "bounce:" the land referred to was taken by former Governments. I have not been instrumental in taking land. The Taupo and Ureweras, with whom we fought, were not deprived of any land. Natives have been punished for their faults. Tareha, although you have retired from Parliament, your suggestions have been attended to; you should still, as a chief, endeavour to act for the general good and welfare of the Maori people. You and I have always worked together, and done what we thought best for the benefit of both races.

Tareha: A word about what you said to us about Turanga when in Wellington. There were three of us of this place and Wikiriwhi, and you said one portion was to be for the Ngatiporou, one portion for Ngatikahungunu, and one portion for the Government. Since then reports state that Ngatiporou were to have all the land.

Mr. McLean: No; they had their share—no more.

Tareha: When we held our meeting at Waiohiki this was explained to us, and you offered us money for our portion, to which we said, No. We understood that it was the land we were to have, so let yours remain with you. You proposed to return the land to the Poverty Bay Natives. I said, Return your share if you wish to do so; give us ours. You said, "Wait until the survey is completed;" and we have done so.

Mr. McLean: The survey has only very lately been completed. I proposed to return lands beyond certain boundaries. Those have been returned by the Commission.

Tareha: Now that the survey is complete, we find that Ngatiporou, who are Poverty Bay Natives, and Mokena, are disposing of the land, and we think we might as well do the same.

Ihaka Whanga: Let the talk be short. I appear here as the representative of the Wairoa portion of the Ngatikahungunu, who have sent me to receive the money for their share of Patutahi. I said I would go in a straightforward way to Tareha, and then go with him to meet the Europeans. I have now come for the money. There is one question I want to ask: Do Ngatiporou receive both money and land?

Mr. McLean: No; but while the arrangements were pending, they said the land was to be set apart for school purposes. After this they decided to receive money instead of the land, and to have a certain portion set apart for school purposes. They have lately paid about £267, a balance of Patutahi money, for school purposes. You are mistaken in supposing they received both money and land. Was Ihaka. Ngarangione with your people?

Ihaka Whanga: No. He belongs to Turanga, and went with Ngatiporou. Let him look to them for his money.

Tareha: The best plan will be to divide the money, one portion for Ihaka and them commencing from Wairoa to Table Cape, and the other portion for us Napier Natives.

Ihaka Whanga: With respect to the payment of this money, I would suggest that you write to Mr. Burton to come and fetch the money and pay the natives, as I cannot divide the money. You, Mr. McLean, have the list.

Mr. McLean read list of numbers of different hapus who were engaged in fighting at Poverty Bay. Ihaka: Let the money for each individual be explained clearly.

Hamana: Your remarks to me about what was said by Hapimana to you in Wellington are good. My idea is, that when he made that demand, it was not done intentionally in an obnoxious manner It was not right to suppose that that land would be returned. It is gone for good. When Mr. Locke reached the Wairoa, we knew that the land question was to be settled. We were told to trace our claims by ancestry, at which I and other soldiers complained about our wasted labour in fighting against the Hau Haus. Hapimana got all his people, who were chiefly Hau Haus, inserted in the deeds; while only four of us, Ihaka, Maraki, Paora, and myself, were nominally inserted in the deeds.

Mr. McLean: The land is vested really in you, the chiefs. The names of the Hau Haus are inserted, but you hold that land for their benefit. There is one question which ought to be settled, that is, the boundary between you and the Urewera it ought to be done, if possible, this summer. I have appointed Tareha, who is related to both parties, on behalf of the Government, to adjust the matter.

Temuera: What acreage are the people to have?

Mr. McLean: If Ngatiporou had received land, they would have received 10,000 acres. Your people would have received the same

Ihaka: Mr. Burton proposed the chief should have a larger portion than others: but we objected, and said that all should be equal

Mr. McLean read off list. Ihaka's party, 319 men; Heretaunga party, 223 men; Ihaka's party to receive £2,94215s. 6d.—each man at rate of £9 4s. 6d.

The same day Mr. McLean left Napier, and arrived at Poverty Bay on the 30th. The next day a number of Natives assembled in the Court House, and met him there. One of the requests brought forward was for leave for the Hau Haus now living at Torere to return to their old friends. As, however, it appeared that some had come away without permission, they were ordered to return at once.

The following is the report of the meeting:—

The Hon. the Native Minister had an interview with the Turanga Natives in the Court House, Gisborne, on Monday last. Mokena, Ropata, Henare Potae, Ihaka Whanga, and others were also present. Mr. McLean having invited them to state their grievances, the following interesting proceedings took place.

Paora Kati: We have nothing particular to say; we come here to listen to you.

page 385

Matenga Tote: We wish the Hau Haus of the Aitanga a Mahaki, that are in Wiremu Kingi's charge at Opotiki, returned to us.

Wi Haronga: Te Aitanga a Mahaki welcome you here. If you intend to return land to them and Rongowhakaata, and to give them the power of administering their own affairs, it is well. Let chiefs from other places cease from administering our affairs; no matter though they may be Hau Haus, let them give expression to their sentiments. Perhaps some one here will have something further to say on the subject.

Mr. McLean: Will you explain what you mean by your reference to chiefs from other districts administering your affairs?

Wi Haronga: I refer to Henare Potae, Meiha Ropata, Mokena Kohere, and Paora Te Apatu.

Wi Pere: Salutations! I have just returned from Wellington, where I went to see if I could make arrangements for getting some of our lands returned to us. I saw Mr. McLean, who said Return and stay quietly; a new law is being made which would simplify and adjust all such matters." After my return, I conferred with Mr. Locke, on his arrival here, and was satisfied with the arrangements that were made about the land. There are two or three matters which I wish settled: Give us back our burial-grounds at Patutahi, at Wahanui, and at Kaikaitaratahi. Secondly, Let the Hau Haus of Te Aitanga a Mahaki, who are in Wiremu Kingi's charge at Opotiki, be returned to us. And, thirdly, We should also participate in the Patutahi money, and receive £5,000.

Panapa. Waihope: Salutations! I second what Wi Pere says respecting the restoration of the burial-grounds. Secondly, We wish the Hau Haus at Opotiki to be returned to us; some of their number have already returned and are among us, as Mr. Locke knows; let us also receive money for Patutahi.

Pita Te Huhu: [Karakia, incantation.] I approve of your administration, Mr. McLean. I approve of what Wi Pere said about the restoration of the burial grounds; let that be done I wish the Hau Haus at Opotiki returned, and some of the money for Patutahi.

Hoani Ruru: The land belonging to Rongowhakaata was taken by the Government for the crimes of all the Hau Haus of Turanga, and but a small portion of that belonging to Te Aitanga a Mahaki; Ngaitahupo did not lose any land, Paora Te Apatu and others had made application for the adjudication of lands within the "rohe potae;" Rongowhakaata did not, as their land had all been taken. I wish you to give me back a portion. Do you carefully consider this matter.

Paora Kati: If you have any complaint to bring forward, do so now. You are wrong in objecting to Ropata, Henare, and Mokena, for it is through their administration that we have benefited. Money is now asked for Patutahi. If I receive any of the Patutahi money, I shall not go there; if I do not receive some, I will not go there. I wish for some of the Patutahi money. Raharuhi's Crown grants, twelve in number, have not been properly conveyed by him to his relatives, consequently they revert to the whole tribe. Raharuhi signed a document drawn up by the Natives, but the lawyers say it is of no use. I asked Mr. Skipworth to prepare a document conveying his (Rararuhi's) interests in the different blocks to me; he said, Taihoa. I also saw Captain Porter, but he did not arrive till Raharuhi's death, when it was too late. I was very pouri about these Crown grants, and could not sleep.

Wi Pere: Patutahi was taken and divided amongst Ngatiporou, Ngatikahungunu, and the Government. Those tribes said they would give the land back to us as an act of grace (tohu rangatira); this has not been done, for the land has been divided amongst themselves, therefore we do not want their interference with our affairs.

Paora Parau: You see the remnant of Turanga and Rongowhakaatu before you; some perhaps were too lazy to come, while others may have been ashamed or afraid of you. Let the request for the burial-places be granted, and let the Hau Haus under Wiremu Kingi's charge be returned to us. With respect to people from other places coming to administer affairs amongst us, let them attend to the affairs of their own settlements.

Mr. McLean, in reply, said: You, the people of Turanga, have not hitherto shown yourselves capable of managing your own affairs, although you talk largely of your powers. You could not do it even when your old chiefs of authority were alive; and you have always evinced a fickleness and a desire for change, without considering the consequences which would follow. When the Hauhau doctrine came among you, you readily adopted it, and you were completely led away; now you express your jealousy because other chiefs are desired to come here. If you refer to the Ngatiporou chiefs, I tell you they have a right to come here at any time, and will do so whenever requested. I have asked them to come here, and will do so again when I consider it necessary. You have no chiefs to whom any attention is paid; and the old proverb holds good, "Turanga tangata rite;" or, Chiefs and all are of equal standing at Turanga. The land question has been already satisfactorily settled by the Commission which has recently sat here, and I, am not prepared, to make any further concessions either in land or money, as you may consider yourselves liberally treated. I told some of you lately in Wellington, when you spoke to me on the subject of your lands here and at Wairoa, that you would not have met with so much consideration had you assumed a defiant attitude; and I tell you so again. I have always warned you that you will get your grievances redressed and claims recognized more readily by bringing them before the Government in a friendly and proper spirit, than by adopting an opposite course, by which you would gain nothing. No attempts at unfair exaction on your part will be to your advantage, however much you may at times be led to think they are. Some of you have asked for the return of the Hauhaus residing with William King at Opotiki; and I hear that Wi Pere has advised them to come away stealthily. If such means are employed, you cannot expect me to assent to your wishes. Had a frank request been made for their return, and security offered for their good behaviour, the Government might have entertained the application; as it is, they will not be permitted to return. In reference to certain burial-grounds you have asked for, that at Patutahi, which is in the possession of the Government, will be reserved for you; with regard to the others, I can make no promise. You are living in the midst of an increasing and prosperous commu-page 386nity of Europeans, by whose example you should profit. I hope you will learn from them their habits of industry which you see they possess, and which you will find will be much more beneficial to you than fruitless agitations. You should bear in mind that Europeans are an increasing people and that it will be greatly to your advantage to avoid unnecessary contentions, and to dwell with them on peaceable and friendly terms.

Wi Pere: The charge against me is unfounded; there is some one here from Wiremu Kingi's place; we are going there to have the matter cleared up. When Te Muhunga was taken, it was arranged with Mr. Atkinson that he was to have 5,000 acres, with the understanding that we were to have the balance, if any: on survey, it was found to contain 5,390 acres; the balance he refused to return. You are not to blame for this.

Mr. McLean here read from notes that, according to the wording of the agreement, it was 5,000 acres, more or less.

Wi Pere: If it was over, it was to be returned; if under, it was to be made up.

The Hon. Mokena Kohere: Friend Wi Haronga, I rise to answer your objections about us chiefs from distant parts having the administration and management of your lands at Turanga. This is my word to you. You had the opportunity of dealing with your lands, but you threw it away. You have had your lands given to you; my hands are clean; take your land.

Meiha Ropata: Wi Haronga, there is one mistake you make with regard to us chiefs from other districts administering matters connected with your lands at Turanga. If the Government had seen any fault in our administration, they would have told us to cease; it is not for you to dictate to us. In 1865 the troubles commenced here, and they have existed ever since, and we, chiefs from other districts, have done our best to prevent matters being worse with you, and we have succeeded to a certain extent; if it had been left entirely to the people of Turanga, you would never have succeeded in anything for your benefit; if the troubles of this place had ended we should have ceased to visit you.

Ihaka Whanga: I do not agree with what Wi Haronga has said about us strangers having the management and making arrangements about land at Turanga. It has been plainly seen that Wi Haronga and his people have not been able to manage their own affairs properly, or the troubles would not have come on them. If Wi Haronga is competent to administer affairs among his people, why did he not prevent these troubles? When Kereopa came here with his mischief, you were eager to support his cause, and that was the commencement of your downfall. We (the Government) have rescued you from those evils. We have given you your land and taken some for the misdeeds of your Hau Haus; and what land has been given to you you have either sold, mortgaged, or disposed of in some other way; and now you are dissatisfied; you should be glad to welcome a state of peace, and show a good feeling towards the Government.

Wi Haronga: I am found fault with and blamed for not exerting my influence in restraining my people; if they had listened to my advice they would now be in different circumstances; they are easily led away, and when Henare Matua came here they followed him. I was sorry, but was not listened to; the blame of all is thrown upon me. Let my words be proved by each hapu looking after its own affairs; it would then be seen how such were administered, and they would each become responsible for their own conduct.

Henare Potae: What you have said, Wi Haronga, about our coming to Turanga and taking the management of your lands is correct, but we have never come among you yet without being first asked to do so. The Government saw that you were unable to manage matters by yourselves, and they asked us to assist you. However, in future you can conduct your own affairs yourselves, and we shall then see whether you are capable of administering for yourselves.

Anaru Matete: Salutations to you, Mr. McLean! May you live long! I did not go to Wellington with Henare Matua with any intention of doing wrong, but to try and get a hearing from you about my troubles. One of my troubles was that I had been cursed by Paora Kati, and I did not feel satisfied until I had seen you, for you to tell me that I was safe (or not). You told me when you were last in Turanga that I was to remain quiet. I have at last made up my mind to tell you that my lands have all been leased by the Government Natives; my relatives have participated in those leases, and none of them have handed to me any moneys accruing from these rents. I am agreeable to lose the greater portion of my lands for joining the Hauhaus, but I think I am entitled to a portion of land besides what has been given up to the Government. I do not ask for a portion of land that has been sold or confiscated; all I ask for is a portion of the land that is leased.

Mr. McLean: I think you and Paora Kati had better meet and settle matters between you; also your relative Tamihana, who is not present.

Wi Pere: It was proposed that a committee of twelve should be appointed to adjust the surveys, which were a constant cause of irritation. Ropata was named as one of the committee.

Mr. McLean: There will be no cause for such complaints under the new law enacted by the Government, which will remedy all such; and no lands will be brought before the Court for adjudication that are of a questionable nature. (The Native Minister here read the names of several Hauhaus who had been sent to Opotiki, some of whom had returned to Turanga, and some had died.)

The meeting then broke up.

No. 3.

Captain Porter, Land Purchase Officer, to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

East Coast.Land Negotiations. Militia Office, Gisborne, 3rd June, 1875.

Sir,—

In compliance with instructions, I have the honor to furnish a general monthly report relative to lands offered to and under negotiation for Government within my district. My report this month will be necessarily brief, as the transactions are few, and I have hardly initiated the system.

page 387

You are already aware of the opposition of Ngatiporou tribes to the introduction of the Government land purchase policy into their territory, and of the reasons which have led to this spirit of opposition. I have now to proceed cautiously to remove this feeling of antipathy, and it is not my intention to solicit the cession of lands, but to explain the equitable wishes of Government upon the subject, and so let the Natives themselves offer blocks.

During my visit up the coast I saw the leading chiefs, and read the Government Circular relative to the method of dealing, at which they expressed satisfaction.

Lands under offer, and in reference to which initiative steps have been taken, are as follows:—

Te Rotokautuku (Oil Springs, Waiapu).—This block has passed the Court at Waipiro, and contains about 5,500 acres. There are 427 owners entered in the memorial of ownership. The block is a good one, and suitable for any purpose. I have negotiated a lease under provisions of "The Lands Act, 1873," for twenty-one years, and obtained, before leaving Waipiro, 150 signatures. This block was first negotiated for by Government for the purpose of developing its oil resources. I report further on this block under separate cover.

Te Ahi o te Atua (Oil Spring).—This land has also passed the Waipiro Court, and its area is about 2,700 acres (am unable to give exact area, as maps are not back from Waipiro). There are in the memorial of ownership 426 names. I have not yet arranged anything about terms for this block, but they will be somewhat similar to those of Rotokautuku. The land itself would only be fit for grazing, should payable oil not be found upon it.

Te Poro Ika Moana (Oil Spring).—This is about the same area as Te Ahi o te Atua, but of little use for anything else than to bore for oil, and I think hardly worth negotiating as a lease, but might be worth purchasing after it passes the Court.

Hikurangi.—I attach hereto a copy of an offer to lease a piece of country situated this side of that mountain. The offer is a bond fide one, and I have informed the Natives that I will go up in July and visit the land, and at the same time make some arrangement as to terms. In conjunction with this block it is my intention to endeavour to get the whole of the country lying between the forks of the Tapuairoa and Mata Rivers, which are the head waters of the Waiapu. The back line would take in Hikurangi and the adjacent mountains. The tableland is very considerable, and suitable for agricultural or pastoral purposes. It will, however, be necessary to arrange with some private parties, T. Fox and F. Campbell, to forego some preliminary agreements entered into by them with some of the owners of small portions. By setting aside some portion as a reserve for the Natives, I think it possible to arrange the purchase of the whole.

Kawakadwa.—The Natives offer to lease a block of land situated between this place and Hick's Bay, but as it is included within a lately proclaimed boundary prohibiting sales or leases, I have deemed it prudent to defer action for the present.

Potiki Rua (near Cape Runaway).—Natives attending at the Waipiro Court offered this block to lease, but from inquiry I find it will be necessary to consult with Te Whanau-a-Panui tribe, as it is a border country.

This completes the number of pieces under negotiation by me, and you will perceive the general desire is to lease, upon which subject I have to ask the views of the Government in a separate letter.

I have, &c.,

T. W. Porter,
Land Purchase Agent.

The Under Secretary (Land Purchase Department),
Native Office, Wellington.

Enclosure.
[Translation.]

Hikurangi. Te Rere-a-tahu, 9th May, 1875.

To Captain Porter and Meiha Ropata,—

Friends, greeting. Herewith we forward the boundaries of our land for your information, which land we are willing to lease to the Government—that is, if the arrangements for so doing are satisfactory. This is a boná fide offer of ours to you: do you let it to them, and carry out the arrangements in accordance with our agreement to lease,—that is, so that our interests and the interests of those leasing the land will be protected.

Now, we consider that you can make satisfactory arrangements respecting the price for the land,—that is, the rent per acre.

We how ask you to make us an advance of £500 on that land.

Aporo Tamarere,
And seven others.

We also agree that that land should be surveyed.

Here follow the boundaries.

No. 4.
Mr. J. A.Wilson, Land Purchase Officer, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

East Coast arid Bay of Plenty.—Land Transactions. Land Purchase Office, Gisborne, 10th June, 1875.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report, as Land Purchase Officer for the East Coast and Bay of Plenty Districts, that, during the financial year now about to close, an unusual amount of business has been done, and that the following transactions have taken place.

page 388
1.Former Negotiations Completed.—I would refer to negotiations of the previous year that have been completed in this. Motu and Waikohu Matawai Blocks come under this head. The former is a lease of 68,482 acres; term, fifty years. The latter is a lease for 43,479 acres; term, twenty-five years. These blocks have finally passed the Native Lands Court, and have been awarded to the Natives with whom I had dealt. The Natives, two only excepted, have ratified the preliminary agreements under which they received advances in previous years. The deed for Motu is at Wellington, and that for Waikohu Matawai will be there before the end of this month. The rent for these blocks, as shown in my returns, will, I think, be considered moderate. The average rent on the nearer block is £3 9s. 9d. per 1,000 acres per annum. The average rent on Motu, which is more remote, is £2 17s. 1d. per 1,000 acres per annum.
2.Purchases of Country Lands made this Year.—During the period under report I have made extensive purchases of lands at reasonable rates in the district extending from Poverty Bay to Tokomaru and the Watershed of Upper Waiapu. Although these purchases are in many blocks, yet they may be classified according to price in manner following:—
Price.
Estimated Acreage. s. d.
44,000 1 0
104,000, partly surveyed 2 0
7,660, surveyed 2 10
4,000 unfixed.

On these lands I have advanced moneys, in various sums, to the extent of £2,166, being about 3⅛d. per acre. These lands are of the same character and quality as the numerous sheep runs that fringe the coast line from Poverty Bay to Tokomaru,—hilly but good, and well adapted to sheep; some of this country is open, some covered with scrub, and some with light bush. There is, however, but little valuable timber on the ground, which is to be regretted, as the whole is suited to settlement in its agricultural and pastoral forms. The surveys, so far as they have progressed, show that the area of this fine country has not been over estimated, the natural outlets to which are at Gisborne and Tologa Bay.

Leases of Country Lands made this Year.—I have also to report that, in addition to the above-mentioned 160,000 acres of purchased lands, I have leased 133,000 acres for forty years, surveys in progress, and 98,000 acres for thirty years, surveys in progress: making a total of 231,000 acres leased this year. The annual rent on these lands is uniform, amounting as nearly as possible to £1,500, which is rather less than £6 10s. per 1,000 acres per annum. In all cases, the advances are to be recouped out of the rent, the payment for which will not commence until the Government shall have received a title through the Court. The character and quality of the leased lands is hardly as even as that of the purchased; some of the leased land is well situated and very superior, and some is more remote and rugged. The leased and purchased lands adjoin each other, so as in one case to form a block of 247,000 acres, extending from within six miles of Gisborne to the Ngatiporou boundary in Upper Waiapu, and from the upper branches of Waipaoa or Turanga River to the back line of Mr. Arthur's run, on the coast at Tokomaru. The natural outlets to these lands are at Tokomaru, Tologa, Gisborne, and Wairoa. In every agreement to lease, there is a covenant by which the Natives bind themselves not to sell the freehold during the term of lease to any person other than the Government. Advances on these leases to the extent of £1,808 have been rendered necessary by the keen competition of certain influential Europeans in this district, who, regardless of the prior claims and moneys advanced by the Government, and of warnings received to that effect, have made advances also, and have obtained authorized surveys on lands negotiated and surveyed by the Government. I do not, however, propose to occupy your valuable time on these and other unjustifiable encroachments on the public domain, having already reported to you fully on all such cases in my letters Nos. 51–75, 53–75, 48–75.

• 4. Purchases of Town Lands made this Year.—I have to report that I have purchased the township site at Tologa Bay, the same being situated at the entrance to Uawa River, and is in fact the only ground available for the purpose. The European portion of the village at Tologa has always been upon this land. The site is not extensive, being little over 400 acres, the title-deed to 252 acres of which is now in the hands of the Government at Wellington. I regret that the balance of this valuable land (properly called Mangarara No. 2) appears for the present to be classed in the category of lands unjustifiably interfered with by Europeans, vide my letter No. 48–75. In this, however, as in similar cases, I have applied for the statutory protection afforded by the 42nd clause of "The Immigration and Public Works Act Amendment Act, 1871."

The money paid on the township site at Tologa amounts, on the portion to which the title is secure, i.e. on the

Township proper, to£637181
Mangarara No. 2, to338311
  • 5. Purchases and Leases of former Years still Incomplete.—The area of lands coming under this head is 132,000 acres; the number of blocks four, one of them being in Poverty Bay and three in the Bay of Plenty. The amount of money advanced in each case is £90, £20, £10, and nil: total, £120. This sum is amply secured in the interests on which it has been advanced.

It would be too much to expect to escape opposition in a district where the land is good, and where it may not have been advisable to apply the restrictive clauses of the Immigration and Public Works Acts. As a matter of fact, I have experienced an opposition from European owners than page 389which nothing could be more strenuous, partaking sometimes even of a personal character. Yet I have given no cause for such behaviour, for, excepting in the case of Puhatikotiko, the township site near the oil springs, ten miles inland of Ormond, I have not interfered with prior negotiations by Europeans. It is to be remarked, however, that embarrassments of the nature referred to have been mostly experienced by me among persons whose position and circumstances should have been a protection to the interests of the Government. When I came into this district to purchase land, the whole country at the back of the sheep runs on the coast was a terra incognita, as far as the Natives and myself were concerned. In some cases a human foot had scarcely ever passed over it, while in other localities no human being had seen the land for many generations. The only road was the coast road, and a few tracks, mostly sheep tracks, running a short distance inland. As the acquaintance, therefore, of the Natives of the present generation with its tribal boundaries was almost entirely of a traditionary kind, and as business could not be conducted satisfactorily on either side without data of a more certain nature to go upon, I deemed it necessary to explore this unknown district, in order to define the boundaries and areas, and to ascertain the quality and topographical character of the country. This exploration, though conducted in the summer season, proved to be a no less arduous undertaking than Sir James Alexander, in his last work on New Zealand, had predicted it would be. The service was ably performed by Captain Simpson, and the expense attending his explorations, amounting in all to £278 13s. 3d., has, I believe, been amply repaid to Government by the information gained, and the security and facilities afforded to the transactions of this department, no advances of importance being allowed by me until the character of the country had been ascertained.

Sir, before concluding this report, I beg most respectfully to thank you for the discretionary powers entrusted to me during the period in which these negotiations have been in progress, as I feel sure that these powers have contributed largely as an element of success to the extensive transactions and engagements that have been carried out by me on behalf of the Government during the year that is now about to expire.

I have, &c.,

J.A. Wilson,
Land Purchase Commissioner.

The Hon. Sir D. McLean, K.C.M.G., Native Minister, Wellington.

No. 5.

Captian Porter, Gisborne, to the Under-Secretary, Native Department.

Poverty Bay.—Blocks awaiting investigation in Native Lands Court, &c. Gisborne, 5th June, 1876.

Sir,—

I have the honor to furnish the following report of my land-purchase transactions for the year ended the 31st May, 1876:—

By reference to the schedule attached hereto, it will be seen that a total area of 324,011 acres is under offer and negotiation: 142,622 acres is shown in course of completion and prices fixed, and 181,389 acres under offer, but for which negotiations have been deferred, pending the investigation of the several titles by the Native Lands Court, and for which prices have not yet been arranged. The Waitahaia and Aorangi Wai Blocks, representing a total of 59,252 acres have passed the Court during the last month, and were in each case adjudged to the hapus and persons with whom I had dealt in my preliminary negotiations. The deeds of conveyance for these blocks have been signed, and with the exception of a few signatures required from grantees at a distance, are now complete. The authority for survey of the other blocks has been issued by Mr. Baker, Deputy Inspector of Surveys, and at the next sittings of the Lands Court I trust to be able to report a very large area of land passing through on Government account.

In my negotiations for the past year, I have found it necessary to depart in one or two instances from the generally existing systems of land purchase throughout the island, and I take the liberty of pointing out their disadvantages. The first is the payment of advance, or earnest money, on lands before the title to them has been adjudged by the Native Lands Court. I found that in almost every case there were two parties, claimants and counter-claimants, and the onus of deciding the right of one or other of these fell to the Purchase Officer, a responsibility that he should not incur at the risk of wrongfully paying away Government money, which, apart from other reasons, determined me to ask the Government to allow of my, discontinuing payments of this nature within my district, and which request was willingly approved by you.

The next subject is that of surveys. I have instituted the system of throwing the onus of this upon the Natives, by arranging with them the price per acre, less the cost of survey. I have found this a very good precaution, as, knowing they have to pay, the Natives are careful not to cause delays, or to lead over wrong boundaries, as is often the case in surveys of Native lands to which the title is disputed, and further, the Government incur no risk of loss.

The obtaining of signatures, in accordance with the provisions of the Native Lands Act, within my district, entails a great deal of unnecessary expense to Government, and delay in completion of transactions. I particularly refer to the necessity of having an interpreter authorized by the Act, and the presence of a Resident Magistrate. I find this is a most unpleasant feature of my duty, as, however anxious to complete deeds of purchase, I am wholly dependent upon these officers, as in several instances I missed favourable opportunities owing to the inability to obtain one or other of them. I have seriously considered the disadvantages Government work under in comparison with the private speculator: Government under the present system are compelled to employ two officers to carry out their purchases, namely, Purchase Officer and interpreter, whereas the private speculator page 390has only to employ the interpreter, who invariably acts as negotiator also. This is obviously prejudicial to Government interests, and gives an unfair advantage to private dealers; and it would be only right that Purchase Officers, where qualified, should be allowed to act as interpreter in conjunction with the Resident Magistrate, as required by the Act.

In concluding, I may remark that, with the exception of these few remediable difficulties in connection with the service, I have much pleasure in reporting that all my dealings with the Natives have been most satisfactory, and have not met with any obstruction or opposition; on the contrary, I have received valuable assistance from the leading chiefs of the tribe, who unanimously express themselves satisfied at the workiug of the policy.

I have, &c.,

T. W.Porter,
Land Purchase Officer.

The Under Secretary, Native Office (Land Purchase Branch), Wellington.

Schedule Referred to in Foregoing.

I.—Purchases in course of Completion.

Block. Area. Price, including Cost of Survey. Payments made to date. Remarks.
Acres. £ s. d. £ s. d.
Te Ngaere 70,000 10,500 0 0 1,605 0 0 Estimated area.
Waitahaia 50,067 6,258 7 6 3,622 0 0
Aorangi Wai 9,185 1,377 15 0 1,119 6 3
Tututohora 5,000 375 0 0 200 0 0 Estimated area.
Puke-a-Maru 5,000 312 10 0 150 0 0 Estimated area.
Taitai 3,370 496 5 0 310 0 0
Total 142,622 19,391 17 6 7,006 6 3

II.—Blocks under Offer, but for which Negotiations have been deferred pending
Investigation of Titles by Native Lands Court.

Block. Area. Remarks.
Acres.
Poro-Ika-Moana 2,093 Prices not yet arranged.
Matahiia 3,185 Prices not yet arranged.
Aorangi 3,000 Estimated. Prices not yet arranged.
Tikorangi 15,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Ngahaua 20,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Pouturu 5,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Takapauwharanui 1,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Hikurangi (Mountain) 12,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Kawakawa 10,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Whangaparaoa 50,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Maika 1,500 " Prices not yet arranged.
TePohatu 2,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Kopua Pounamu 3,000 " Prices not yet arranged.
Ahi-o-te-Atua 2,455 Prices not yet arranged.
Waitangi 1,156 Prices not yet arranged.
Ranga-a-Potahi 50,000 Estimated. Prices not yet arranged.
East Cape Island Offered as a site for a lighthouse. Prices not yet arranged.
Totals, No.1 142,622 acres.
" No.2 181,389 "
324,011 "

[Note.—For continuation of these Reports on the Extinguishment of Native Title in the North Island, see Appendix to Journals, 1862, 01., pp. 163–384.—Ed.]

page breakpage break