Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

H. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Turanga, to the Chief Commissioner

H. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Turanga, to the Chief Commissioner.

Poverty Bay.Transmitting Deed of Sale for Land purchased. Resident Magistrate's Court,
Turanga, 2nd February, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward you herewith the deed of sale to the Crown of about fifty-seven acres of land in this locality drawn up and signed in accordance with the instructions contained in your letter of the 6th December last.

Kahutia is universally admitted by the Natives here to be the only person having power to dispose of the land in question. The deed, however, is signed by himself, his brother (Manahi), his daughters (Katarina and Riperata), and their husbands (Petera and Mikaere), and, at his request, the name of his adopted grandson (Ranga Te Rangi) was added by Petera. I am not aware that the name of any one belonging to his family is wanting. The names of Hone Hira, his wife (Paraire) Hemi Kepa, and others of less importance are to the deed.

I have not affixed any measurements to the plan, but, as I furnished them to you on the plan accompanying my letter of the 27th of November last, they can be added in your office, if required.

I am happy to report that very little difficulty has been experienced in obtaining the signatures to this deed.

I have, &c.,

Herbert Wardell,
Resident Magistrate.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.