Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Copy of a Letter from Mr. Mackay to the Hon. J. C. Richmond

No. 5.
Copy of a Letter from Mr. Mackay to the Hon. J. C. Richmond.

Tauranga.Purchase of Te Puna and Katikati Blocks. Civil Commissioner's Office,
Tauranga, 22nd November, 1866.

Sir,

I have the honor to inform you that, in accordance with instructions received from Mr. Whitaker, agent for the General Government, I left Auckland for this place on the 26th October, with the intention of completing the negotiations for the purchase of Te Puna and Katikati Blocks, which had been partially arranged by Mr. Commissioner Clarke and myself in July last.

On my arrival the Natives received notice to meet at Motuhoa. Having heard that the tribe Pirirakau had recently taken possession of the instruments belonging to some surveyors engaged in laying off confiscated lands near the Wairoa, I deemed it advisable to send a special notice to that tribe in case they might be afraid to attend in consequence of their unlawful proceedings. I enclose copy of the same herewith.

On the 31st October I went to Motuhoa, accompanied by Mr. Commissioner Clarke. We here found Hori Tupaea, Te Moananui, Wharaki, Maungapuhata, Wi Parera, Wi Patene, Enoka te Whanake, Hohepa Hikutaia, Raniera te Hiahia, Te Kuka, Te Patu, Turere, and all the other influential men of the various hapus of Ngaiterangi.

On the 1st November the question about the survey of confiscated lands was mooted. The Natives were informed that all the Government required was the 50,000 acres agreed on at the time His Excellency the Governor last visited this district; that I had inquired as to the quantity actually surveyed, and found that between the rivers Waimapo and Wairoa, and including Captain Heale's suryey of Otumoetai West, there were 40,800 acres; and between the rivers Wairoa and Te Puna, 14,200 acres, or a total area of 55,000 acres, being 5,000 in excess of the quantity arranged.

I then proposed to give back the 5,000 acres, and to make the Ruangarara Stream and Te Puna River the inland boundary of the last-named block, and leave those of the Waimapu and East Wairoa as surveyed, to include 38,000 acres.

After some discussion my suggestion was unanimously assented to. Maungapohatu, the old and principal chief of the Pirirakau, consented on behalf of that hapu, and was exceedingly pleased at a reserve of 300 acres being made for himself and people at Epeha and Waikaraka.

Some friendly Natives, who had lost considerable pieces of land within the 50,000 acre block, applied for reserves, and they were promised that their cases should be inquired into.

The Pirirakau people did not attend at the meeting, and did not answer my notice of the 27th October. I therefore wrote them another letter, copy whereof is enclosed.

The day and The next were occupied in negotiating with the Ngaiterangi hapus for their claims to Te Puna and Katikati Blocks.

The Ngaiterangi would not wait for payment for the above-mentioned lands until a survey could be made and the area ascertained, in accordance with the original understanding, but agreed to take £6,700 for their claims to the land in question, exclusive of the deposit of £1,000 previously paid; 6,000 acres of good agricultural land were also to be reserved for them within the block. The deed of conveyance was signed by the principal men, names as per margin,

Te Moananui, Hori Tupaea, Hamuera Tu, Te Kupu te Umehau, Te Patu, Turere, Timi, Harawira, Hohepa Hikutaia, Te Kuka te Mea, Hori Ngatai, Wiremu Parera, Tahere, Enoka Make, Te Whathera, Rotoehu, Mangapohatu, Tomika te Mutu, Tarai Wiripo, Te Puru, Rangiwaka.

on behalf of the tribe. I gave them a guarantee for the money.

Mr. Clarke and myself returned to Te Papa that afternoon, leaving a message that if the Pirirakau arrived at Motuhoa we would return on the 5th instant.

On the 5th Mr. Clarke found it necessary for him to proceed to Maketu, and I went back to Motuhoa. On arriving there I found a letter from the Pirirakau awaiting me, as per copy enclosed. I then wrote an answer to it, stating my intention of visiting them. They replied as per copy of letter annexed.

On the morning of the 6th instant, accompanied by Te Kuka (Native Assessor), Ruka, Ruato, and Hohepa, Native police, I proceeded to the Pirirakau settlement at Waiwhatawhata, on the edge of the forest between the Ruangarara and Te Puna. We there found Rawiri Tataa, Kepa Ringatu, Pene Taka, Te Kahukoti, and about twenty-five Natives of the Pirirakau and Ngatirangi hapus.

A Native named Pukutoia stood up and welcomed us to the settlement, and asked me to state what I had come for.

I then stated that the Ngaiterangi tribe had sold all the land between the Puna and Katikati for £6,700, and 6,000 acres of reserves. That Maungapohatu, their chief, had assented to the sale, and although they (the Pirirakau) had quarreled with Ngaiterangi about the land when they were last at Te Papa, they had better come to an amicable arrangement with them. The Ngaiterangi said that Maungapohatu, Hori Tupaea, and Moananui were the persons who had claims within the block between Te Puna and Waipapa, while the bulk of the Pirirakau had none. If they had any claim to make, they could receive a share of the purchase money and a reserve of land.

With respect to the confiscated lands, the Governor and Ngaiterangi had arranged that 50,000 acres should be retained by the Government for the rebellion of the various hapus of the tribe. I found that the surveyors had exceeded that limit by 5,000 acres, and it had been arranged with the Ngaiterangi that as there was quite that quantity surveyed to the south-westward of the Ruangarara Stream, that that portion should be surrendered, and the boundary should be a line drawn from Te Puna to Te Ruangarara. That the land to the seaward side of this was for the Crown, and that inland for the Maoris, and reserves would be made within it for friendly Natives and others, including a piece page 368 of 300 acres for Maungapohatu and themselves. It was now plain which land was to be retained for the rebellion, and what was to remain in the hands of the Natives, and there need be no further bad feeling about it. They (Pirirakau) had lost very little land, although they had been in rebellion from the first, and they had better consent to the arrangement made by the remainder of the tribe. They all lived on the shores of one harbor (Tauranga), and were one people; let them be united in the matter. It is true that at the meeting at Te Papa they quarrelled with Ngaiterangi; but such disagreements were frequent, and it was generally understood among Natives that if a thing was done openly and publicly, face to face, in the heat of argument, that it was not a cause for serious quarrel; they had therefore better make it up, and unite themselves with the Ngaiterangi.

Rawiri Tataa, a a chief of Te Pirirakau, then stood up: "Mr. Mackay, I have heard your word. From the Wairoa to Waipapa belongs to me. I will not give it up. You shall have no land from me for my participation in rebellion, and none for your money. I have been in the war at Taranaki and at Waikato, and will give up none here. I have not made peace with you, and do not mean to do so. I do not admit the right of the Ngaiterangi to give up my land, even though I have been in rebellion. I will not give any land to the Governor, either for my rebellion or for your money. Let Ngaiterangi have your money, but I will not let you have my land. It is true that Hori Tupaea has a claim over our bodies, but he has not to our land." (The speaker here pointed to the ground, and said, "Hori Tupaea has no right to that." He then raised his hand and placed it on the upper part of his forehead, and said, "Hori Tupaea has a right to this.")

I said, "Now you have been in rebellion and you refuse to give up any land. This is wrong, Ngaiterangi have lost a great deal of land. The tribes of Waikato, the East Coast, and of Taranaki, have also lost large quantities of their lands. Why should you object to give up some land for your offence? Who has told you to obstruct the surveys and to refuse to give up the land taken by the Governor? You had better put aside all bad feeling; you will get all this land we are now on, right back to the inland boundary. You can get Crown grants for it. I consider the arrangements made with the Ngaiterangi to be a very fair one, and much to your advantage; they have lost much more land than you have. As to your having lost land at Waikato, where is it?" (Rawiri Tataa answered at Kaitotehe, Ashwell's mission station at Taupiri.) I said "that is wrong, that land was sold when I was a boy. You are not Waikato, you belong to Tauranga; your connection with the Waikato tribes is very small, and you are much nearer allied to Ngaiterangi than to them."

Rawiri Tataa then said, "You shall have no land either for the rebellion or for your money. If you want the land go to Tawhiao and William Thompson, if they consent to your having it, well. It is true Maungapohatu has a claim over the land between Te Wairoa and Waipapa, so have Ngaiterangi over part of it, but we will not give it up. William Thompson has given orders to stop the surveyors, and the whole affair is in the hands of Thompson and the Governor. The Government shall not have the land between Te Wairoa and Waipapa; and if the surveyors come to survey we will take away their chains and instruments the same as we have done before. We do not wish to steal the surveyors' instruments, we are willing to give you those already taken if you send for them, but we will not carry them to Te Papa."

I replied, as far as William Thompson's claims are concerned I understand he has three pieces situated at Omohoroa, Purakanui, and Huharua; these are all to be reserved. I did not admit the right of William Thompson to interfere in the affair of the Tauranga District. As far as the Governor was concerned I knew he had taken 50,000 acres of land for military settlement; and, I also knew that he intended to retain it. That as to William Thompson and the Governor having to arrange the question I knew nothing of that. I considered that I was quite as well acquainted with the views of the Governor and the Government, as William Thompson, and they might take my word as binding the Government. I tried in every way to persuade them to come to an amicable arrangement.

Ratima indulged in a speech full of paimarireism, and fierce invectives against the Government. He said that the day would yet come when the Maoris would regain possession of the country. The God had protected them so far. When the Europeans first commenced the war at Waikato, they said all the Natives would be exterminated in the time it took to boil a kettle of water. They were still in the country and we could not conquer them. If they trusted in their God they would yet regain their former Sovereignty of Canaan.

Pene Taka made a violent speech. He would not give up any land and would obstruct the survey. He would fight against the Ngaiterangi; he considered them to be worse than the Government.

Te Kuka, Native assessor, then advised the Pirirakau to make up their quarrel with Ngaiterangi, that the boundary of the land for the rebellion had been fixed by the whole of Ngaiterangi,—that a deed of conveyance had been executed of all the land between Te Puna and Ngakuriawhoare. It was of no use disputing further. If they wanted the land, they must take it away from the Government. As to the money, Ngaiterangi would take it. If the Pirirakau were friendly, they would get some of it through Maungapohatu; but if they were not, and were not pleased, they might try to take the money by force,—that the Puna was in the hands of the Government.

Pukutoia advised the Pirirakau to consent to the proposals made to them, it would be better than quarrelling.

Te Kepa Ringatu refused to give up any land; he said before at Te Papa, if the survey was attempted, blood would be shed; and if the survey was commenced, blood would be shed.

Te Kahukoti Rota and others spoke in the same manner as the previous speakers. Several of them admitted their relationship to Ngaiterangi, but they were King's men, and would not be dictated to by Queenites. They said as to leaving the land to them instead of to the Ruangarara, even if it was given to them under Crown grants, we would take it away in a year or two.

I said the Pirirakau could not be allowed to oppose the whole of their own tri[unclear: b]e, (the Ngaiterangi,) and the Government would not permit them to obstruct, threaten, or kill the surveyors. As to the boundary of the confiscated lands, I intended to cut a line from the Ruangarara to Te Puna, page 369 and would bring the surveyors and a party of soldiers to protect them, and would do it at once. They would not be molested so long as they remain quiet in their own settlements, but any armed party coming to the surveyors would be fired upon at once. They had, therefore, better reconsider the question and arrange it amicably by giving up all claim to the 50,000 acres of confiscated land. And as to the purchased block they could take a share of the purchase money through Maungapohatu, who represented their interest.

All these remarks were treated with the utmost contempt; one man, Parata, when I went into a whare, told me, in a sneering manner, that he supposed I would come sneaking behind the soldiers out of danger. If I would only come ahead of the survey party, they would capture me and chop me to pieces (poroporo rawa). I replied, "E pai ana (it is well), we will see about that."

Te Kuka again endeavoured to persuade them to settle the question quietly, but without the slightest success. Several threats were made against surveyors; and against the Ngaiterangi.

I again warned them, that the result of any attack on the survey party would be sure to be severely punished, and, moreover, they would then lose all the rest of their lands.

Rawiri Tataa then said, "You had better go and talk to William Thompson." I replied, "I am quite willing to go and see him; will you accompany me now? If you will, we can walk over the hill at once." Rawiri answered, "I will not go with you, you can go by your own road that you came (by sea). You cannot go this way."

Finding these people were not amenable to reason, I left their settlement, and we proceeded to Motuhoa. I remained there for the night.

On the morning of the 7th, in returning towards Te Papa, I met Enoka Whanake, Hohepa Hikutai, Wirimu Patene, Hori Ngatai, Ramera Te Hiahia, and other chiefs and people of the tribe Ngaiterangi. I informed them of my proceedings with the Pirirakau, and of my intention to cut the boundary line, and take out a surveyor, with a party of men to protect them.

They all consented that my plan was right, but asked me to allow them one day to go and talk to the Pirirakau and endeavour to persuade them to enter into the arrangements made by the whole tribe. I willingly consented to this proposition, but at the same time stated that, if the Pirirakau persisted in their threats to obstruct the survey, I would take out the surveyor and the soldiers and the line should be cut. They replied, "If the Pirirakau will not give in, we will assist you in cutting the line."

I next proceeded to Te Papa, and, after consulting with Mr. Clarke, C.C., went to Colonel Hamilton, and asked him if he could furnish me with 200 men if required to protect the survey party.

On the 8th the above-named chiefs and others started from Otumoetai. I accompanied them so far as Te Wairoa, thence I went with Hohepa Hikutaia to inspect the road to the summit to the Rangituanui Hill, and to fix on a site for an encampment, if it was found necessary to protect the survey party. We found all we required, and returned to the Wairoa.

The Ngaiterangi chiefs came back about 4 p.m., and report that the Pirirakau had agreed not to interfere with the survey themselves, but said another tribe would probably do so.

This appeared anything but satisfactory, so I therefore wrote to Colonel Hamilton, asking him to send out 200 men next day.

Mr. Turner, surveyor, was also requested to come and cut the line. I also arranged with Mr. Warbrick to accompany the force as interpreter. I wrote a letter to the Pirirakau (copy enclosed).

A party of 200 men of Her Majesty's 12th Regiment, under command of Captain Markon, arrived at the Native settlement at Te Papaowharia, at 5.30 a.m., on the 9th instant. They crossed the river in boats, and marched to the summit of the Rangituanui Hill, where they encamped at 9 a.m.

In the afternoon I proceeded with Mr. Turner, his men, and a party of soldiers, and commenced the line; the Ngaiterangi chiefs and men, as per margin,

Chiefs: Hohepa Hikutaia, Wiremu Patene, Wiremu Parera, Enoka Make, Te Whanake, Hamiora Tu, Ramira Te Hiahia, Hori Ngatai, Wiremu Te Matewai, Ngamanu, Maihi Haki, Hamiora Tangiawa, Wanakore Mangapohatu, Ruka Te Makoe. Men: Ranata Toriri Peito, Tomo Matini Tarere, Hamiora Te Paki, Rerekaipuke, Taupe Haki, Renata Tarere, Hirini Kiokio Kaka, Ruato.

accompanying us.

We met with no opposition. The Pirirakau had a Paimariri flag flying at Waiwhatawhata; two Natives came to the camp with a letter, and informed me that it was not a fighting flag, but only a Paimariri one. Believing they had only come to spy, I told them, "that so long as they remained quiet in their settlements they would uot be molested in any way. I did not care about their flags, and they had better leave the camp forthwith."

On the 10th it rained so hard that we could not work, and therefore remained in camp all day.

The 11th was Sunday. Wanokore, the son of the chief Maungapohatu, who was employed by me to collect intelligence, came into camp and reported that several men of the disaffected Ngatiporou were at Te Reretukahia, and were coming to oppose the survey. Two spies I had sent into the Waiwhatawhata settlement, under pretext of purchasing potatoes, brought me a letter from Rawiri Tata, in which he stated he had returned from Waikato, and Te Rahihi was his companion, who would visit me next day.

I considered this a pretext to delay the survey until they were provided with reinforcements.

I also heard that Te Kepa Ringatu had gone to Hakaraia, of the Arawa, for assistance.

Not knowing what number of Natives might be present to oppose us next day, we signalled to the reserve of 120 men at the Wairoa to march up, so that a larger party could be spared to protect the surveyors.

The Ngaiterangi chiefs having requested to be armed, twelve of them were provided with rifles which had been procured from Lieutenant-Colonel Harrington.

page 370

A Native spy named Taupe was detained by Sergeant Greenop, of the 12th Regiment, at the small camp guarding the Wairoa landing place. Mr Warbrick, who had been sent there on duty, communicated this to me by letter. I rode down from our camp with Hohepa Hikutaia that evening, and being satisfied that the Native in question was a spy, I handed him over to Mr. Warbrick and the Native police for safe custody until next morning. We returned to camp at midnight.

On Monday, the 12th instant, we started at 6 a.m. with a party of 150 men, and twelve armed Natives, and continued our line from Te Puhiakapu Hill to Te Puna. After this we cut a line from that hill to the Ruangarara Stream. I found, to have taken the line straight and include the proper quantity of 9,000 acres, we would have had to cut through some thick bush, and would have interfered with the cultivations adjacent to Waiwhatawhata. I therefore made three angles in the line, which excluded 800 or 900 acres. Mr. Turner and his men worked very well indeed, and by 7 p.m. we reached the bank of the Ruangarara Stream. We returned to camp at 8 p.m.

The whole of the officers and men engaged in this heavy day's work entered into it with zeal and energy, and everything that could be done to afford protection against attack or surprise was ably planned and carried out by Captain Markon and those acting under him.

Intelligence reached me this day that the Twelve Apostles of Ngatiporou had arrived at Te Waiwhatawhata, and other rebel Natives were expected at once.

On the 13th, 100 men, under the command of Captain O'Shaughnessy, were sent out to protect Mr. Turner while chaining a portion of the line which was left unchained the previous evening. Finding no opposition, and no appearance of the Natives, we returned to Te Papa. The forces passed through two friendly settlements at Pukekonui and Te Papaowharia, and not the slightest affront was given to any Native, or was there any instance of the slightest misconduct. The management of the whole of the military arrangements was admirable, and reflects great credit on the officer commanding here, and those under him. I wrote to Colonel Hamilton, thanking him for the assistance rendered, and stated that the services of the troops were not further required.

Mr. Commissioner Clarke was unfortunately confined to his bed by illness, and thus prevented from accompanying the expedition, but every step taken was after due consultation with him, and there was no difference in our opinions as to the course to be pursued.

I was engaged with Mr. Clarke and the Ngaiterangi Natives on the 14th, 15th and 16th November, in arranging about reserves to be made for Natives within the 50,000 acre block. News was brought in that the Twelve Apostles, being unable to attack the survey party on the 12th instant, intended to murder the surveyors between the Waimapu and Wairoa: I sent a message warning them to return to Te Papa until other arrangements could be made,

On Saturday, the 17th, I proceeded to the Wairoa with Enoka te Whanake and Hori Ngatai to inspect some land required for reserves in that neighbourhood. The Natives here reported that some of the Twelve Apostles had been prowling about on and near the footpaths leading to Waiwhatawhata, armed.

On the 18th I returned to Te Papa, where I found the Honorable Colonel Haultain, Minister for Colonial Defence, had arrived. I at once reported myself to him.

On the 19th I recommended to the Honorable Colonel Haultain that 100 men should be sent out to form posts to protect the surveyors engaged between the Waimapu and the Wairoa Rivers. I also wrote to him on the 20th respecting a report, brought in by the chief Te Moananui Whariki, that fifty men of the Ngatiporou,

Ngatipoua and Ngatitamatera.

of Mataora, were coming to Waiwhatawhata via Te Rereatukahia. I have the honor to enclose copy of my letter, and of Colonel Haultain's answer thereto.

Colonel Haultain having made arrangements for 100 men of the 1st Regiment of Waikato Militia to proceed to Te Wairoa to protect the surveyors, I rode out to Omanawa on the 21st with Captain Hunter of that corps, and fixed on a position for their encampment.

On the 22nd, 100 men of the 1st Waikato Regiment, under command of Captain Mair, marched out to Omanawa, and encamped there. It is not, perhaps, in my province, but it is worthy of mention that of the first 100 men warned for this duty about thirty claimed their discharge, and refused to go. Mr. Warbeck has been appointed to accompany this force as interpreter for the present, so as to prevent any misunderstanding with the friendly Natives.

News has been brought in to day that this party have not been molested in any way. It is to be hoped that the action which has been taken in this matter will prevent any further trouble, and that the surveyors will be able to complete their work in peace and security.

I am happy to inform the Government that I believe the majority of the tribe Ngaiterangi to be loyally inclined, and they are perfectly contented with the arrangements entered into for the purchase of the Puna and Katikati Blocks, and also with the settlement of the boundaries of the lands confiscated to the Crown.

I consider the fact of twelve of the principal chiefs having taken up arms during the survey is a sufficient proof that they will adhere to all the agreements entered into, and the effect politically on the rebel Natives at the Thames and elsewhere, who are inclined to support the Pirirakau in their opposition to the Government, will be beneficial.

I have, &c.,

James Mackay, Jun.,
Civil Commissioner.

The Hon. J. C. Richmond.

P.S.—Hakaraia, of the Arawa, refused to send any reinforcements on the application of Te Kepa Ringatu. He stated that as the land had been given by Ngaiterangi, for their participation in the rebellion, and had not been forcibly taken by the Government, against their will, he would not interfere.

J. M