Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 17. — The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 363

No. 17.
The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Awakino.Forwarding deed and translation. Land Commissioner's Office,
Kawhia, Province of Auckland, 1st April, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you, for the information of His Excellency the Officer administering the Government, that I concluded the purchase of a tract of land on the 28th ultimo, at Awakino, near Mokau, for which the Native claimants have been paid a sum of Five hundred pounds. I am in hopes that the purchase of this land from an influential branch of the Waikato tribe will tend to the acquisition of a large extent of country extending inland from Awakino towards the Waipa district. In order to facilitate the acquisition of this land, I have instructed Mr. Rogan, who surveyed the external boundaries and reserves in this purchase, to carry out the survey, and, to a certain extent, the negotiations for such further tracts as the Natives may offer for sale in that neighbourhood; and from Mr. Rogan's knowledge of the Native character and language, besides being an active surveyor, I feel certain that he will render material assistance in effecting this object: but, of course, his employment can only be regarded as of a temporary nature until I am further instructed by His Excellency the Officer administering the Government.

I herewith enclose a copy of the instructions to Mr. Rogan.

The Deed of Sale and translation are herewith transmitted.

In addition to the sum of Five hundred pounds, which was the lowest sum for which the land could be procured, a further payment of Thirty pounds has to be made to the Ngatirarua tribe, at Nelson, who also have claims to the lands purchased.

Hoping that the arrangements made in reference to this purchase will meet with His Excellency's approval,

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Land Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Auckland.