Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 5.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Tawatahi and Oioroa.Reporting on those Blocks. Whaingaroa, 15th November, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to submit to you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, the following report on land in the district, the exterior boundaries of which have been traversed.

Tawatahi Block, situated on the north side of Whaingaroa Harbour, having water frontage to each side of Tawatahi Creek for more than two miles, which is navigable by boat at high water. It is more than six miles in length, and averages more than a mile in breadth. It contains about Four thousand acres (4,000), and there are about Fifteen hundred acres (1,500) of fern land near the harbour, very fertile, although of an undulating character. The remaining part of the block is forest and unavailable for practical purposes, owing to the hilly nature of the land.

An instalment of One hundred pounds has been paid by you to the Native Renata, on the 4th August, 1854.

I have made no proposal to the Natives for the final settlement of this block, as it is the wish of the chief Takerei, and some of his followers, to arrange with you on your return from Auckland.

Oioroa Block, situated on the north side of Aotea Harbour, containing about 1,300 acres, the whole of which, except about two hundred acres of fern land, consists of sand hills. An instalment of One hundred pounds (£100) has been paid to Kewene and Te Aho for this and other land.

The Natives wished me to consider this land equivalent to the amount paid; but I declined concluding any arrangement with them until you were made acquainted with the character of the land.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner, Auckland.