Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 2. — Mr. Interpreter Johnson to the Native Secretary

No. 2.
Mr. Interpreter Johnson to the Native Secretary.

Ramarama Block. Native Secretary's Office, 4th April, 1853.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I proceeded to Slippery Creek to point out the boundaries of the Ramarama Block to the Contract Surveyor, on the 18th ult., as directed in the Hon. the Colonial Secretary's minute, 53/510. On arriving at the spot, I found the surveyor, Mr. Hogan, who had preceded me, returning to town, news having reached him that the Pensioner force, of which he is a member, had been called out to the annual drill. Pending his return from town (whither he had proceeded to obtain leave of absence), I complied with the Surveyor-General's request, and held several interviews with original sellers of the Pukekohe Block, and also with the claimant Isaac, the result of which I have communicated to the Surveyor-General.

On the 26th I rejoined the Contract Surveyor who had returned from town, and traversed the boundary in company with him through the bush, by compass, when it was practicable, and pointed it out from the neighbouring heights when it was not so. On the 30th and 31st ultimo we completed the side bordering on the Waikato River and Mangatawhiri Creek, and arrived in Auckland on the 2nd instant.

The new road between the Mangatawhiri Creek at Pokeno and Ramarama is about half way through, and will unite with the road from Slippery Creek in fourteen days.

I have, &c.,

John G. Johnson,
Interpreter.

The Native Secretary, &c., &c.,
Auckland.