Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 11. — The Resident Magistrate, Waipa, to the Hon. the Native Minister

page 351

No. 11.
The Resident Magistrate, Waipa, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Waikato.Native Lands being sold or leased to Europeans. Whatawhata, 22nd May, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for your information that a large number of the Natives in my district are leasing and selling land to Europeans without the least reference to the Government whatever.

A block of valuable land has been bought at Tamahere by an officer of the Militia Regiment at Hamilton, and Mr. G. G. has leased an adjacent block at a ridiculously low rental. His son, I believe, was the surveyor of that district, and being instructed to make a reserve for the Natives, reserved the block I refer to, and immediately leased it. I cannot refrain from saying that if this indiscriminate sale and lease is permitted, it must end in the utter ruin of the Maoris.

I saw, accidentally, a letter from William Thompson to Raihi, appointing the latter his agent for the sale or lease of the land I referred to as purchased.

I have written to Mr. Fenton on the subject, but as yet have received no answer. A curious case has recently come under my notice. Two Natives, playing at cards, decided that certain quantities of land should be the stake. Accordingly one Native lost some 600 acres, but as his only possession consisted in a block allotted to the Militia the winner asked for a summons for the value of the land he had thus won! I quote this as one of many similar cases.

I have, &c.,

R. C. Mainwaring, R.M.

The Hon. the Native Minister.