Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The lands under the third head are the Hikutaia, Ohinemuri, Aroha, Wairere, Matamata, and Patatere Blocks.

1 Hikutaia Block.

This has not been surveyed, but probably contains 25,000 acres. There are a few patches in this fit for settlement, irrespective of the requirements for Native reserves. The remainder of the land is of hilly character. I have reason to believe that some portion of it will be found auriferous. The title to this block is much disputed. I have instructions from the principal owners to survey it and get the title investigated by the Native Land Court, but have declined to do so until the telegraph line is completed through it for fear of a dispute arising and causing complications which might militate against the construction of the line. The survey will be commenced as soon as the telegraph line is finished.

2 Ohinemuri Block.

This has not been surveyed; the probable area is 100,000 acres. Of this one-third is fit for settlement, irrespective of requirements for Native reserves. Gold has been found in three or four places within this territory, but I have reason to believe it will be more difficult of access than at the Thames and Coromandel fields. This block can only be acquired by degrees and by very carefully conducted negotiations.

3 Te Aroha Block.

This may be estimated to be of nearly the same extent as the Ohinemuri Block, but contains a larger area of land fit for settlement. The title to this land was disputed between the Thames Natives and the Ngatihaua tribe of Waikato, and after a protracted investigation was awarded to the former by the Native Land Court. I believe some part of it can be acquired easier than the Ohinemuri country. The Government have some land on the Waitoa stream, adjoining the western boundary of Te Aroha Block. Te Aroha is the southern extremity of the lands owned by the Hauraki Natives.

4 Wairere Block.

This is situated on the eastern bank of the River Thames, and extends from the southern extremity of Te Aroha Block to Okauia, and inland to the western boundary of the Tauranga Block. The land is unsurveyed, but the probable area is 35,000 acres, about one-third of which is fit for settlement irrespective of the requirements for Native purposes. The owners are the Ngatihinerangi tribe, who are connected with Ngatiraukawa of Patetere, and the Ngaiterangi of Tauranga. At the time of the sitting of the Native Land Court in Te Aroha case, the principal chiefs engaged me to act as their agent in any future disposition of their land. I have not as yet entered on the question, but believe action might be taken and negotiations brought to a successful termination.

5 Matamata Block.

The land forming this block is chiefly of a level character, some of it is of a swampy nature. The greater part was formerly leased to Josiah Firth, Esq., for the depasturage of stock. He has succeeded in obtaining the fee-simple of some large pieces of it at the southern extremity of this block extending towards Patetere. W. T. Buckland, Esq., holds leases of an extensive tract of country. Nearly the whole of the Matamata Block is of a quality suitable for settlement, though the land is in some places swampy and at others rather dry and exposed to cutting winds.

page 326

6 Patetere Block.

This is an extensive tract of country on both sides of the River Waihou or Thames, extending to the Waikato River on the West and to the Tauranga and Rotorua watershed on the East. The land is of fair average quality for settlement, and ought to sustain a large population. This district is owned by the Ngatiraukawa tribe, who have hitherto held aloof from any land transactions with the Crown. I would suggest that if the Government make terms with Mr. Buckland that the land should be purchased in his name. It is the opinion of miners who have visited this district that the auriferous country, which commences on the North at Cape Colville and forms the Coromandel and Hauraki Goldfields, terminates at Horahora at, the southern extremity of the Patetere District.