Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure

Enclosure

Piako.—Instructions to Survey the District. Schooner "Tere,"
Taupo, 13th May, 1857.

Sir,—

I have held a consultation with Takurua, Hoera, Te Poihipi, and other chiefs at Taupo (Hauraki), respecting a settlement of their Piako claims, and have advised that they should point out to you the external boundaries of their claims so as to prevent any future questions or encroachments by Ngatipaoa, or other tribes on the Ngatipaoa boundary. When the external boundaries are clearlypage 322 marked off, it does not appear to me that it will be necessary to enter upon a subdivision of their own internal tribal claims, as this can be arrived at with sufficient accuracy for all the purposes of this Department, without incurring the loss of time, delay, and expense of such a subdivision.

When you have completed this duty you will furnish a map of the several large blocks you survey, and of such reserves, if any, beyond a swampy place called which the late Chief Hauauru wished to retain for eel-fishing.

I intended to go on to Piako to see how the work on which you are employed was progressing, but find that it is needless now for me to do so, as you have not yet reached that place.

The Government feel anxious that this long-pending question shall be brought to a speedy and satisfactory termination, as otherwise the time and money expended upon it will amount to more than the land is worth after its acquisition.

I shall be in the vicinity of the Thames and Coromandel Harbour for some weeks, if you have any reference to make to me respecting the work on which you are engaged.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Native Secretary.

G. Drummond Hay, Esq.