Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Preece

No. 5.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Preece.

General.—Relative to certain claims in his district. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office Auckland, 7th October, 1857.

Sir,—

1.I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 5th instant, containing some practical information respecting the land question in the Cormandel district.
2For more easy reference, I have divided your letter into paragraphs—a plan the adoption of which, in public correspondence, facilitates reference.
3.Paragraphs 1 and 2 do not require immediate action; I shall, therefore, pass them over for the present.
4.Paragraph 3, recommending the purchase of the claims of Pita and others of his tribe to some new land, including all disputed claims from the North Entrance Harbour io Kapanga Creek, I have recommended for His Excellency's approval; and the sum named by you, viz., One hundred pounds; (£100), is furnished to you through Pita, by this opportunity, to enable you to complete these purchases, in addition to a further sum of Twenty pounds (£20) for the lower portion of the land—about Forty acres—between the Kauri Rock and Kapanga Creek, part of an old claim, for which the Natives allege a horse was promised.
5.With regard to Karaitiana's land, and concurring with you in the importance of obtaining it, I have paid yesterday a sum of Fifty pounds (£50) on account of all claims whatever to Tuhitoto Bay, and a further instalment of £50, pending final arrangements on account of his claims to Ahuahu.
6.The Island of Motutapere is also reserved in accordance with your recommendation, and a plan of it is now being prepared for Pita.page 302
7.I shall not now advert to paragraphs 6, 7, and 8, further than to thank you for the information conveyed, and to request, now a commencement is made, that you will use every endeavour to carry on the purchase of land in the Cormandel district as vigorously as possible, consistent with a due regard to the interests of the Natives and their various conflicting claims.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Land Purchase Commissioner.

James Preece, Esq., Cormandel.