Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 13. — Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner

page 306

No. 13.
Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner.

Coromandel—Reporting on Claims of Paora Te Putu. Stapleton, Coromandel, 27th July, 1858.

Sir,—

I have two letters from Paora te Putu about the land offered by Hopa and others for sale. I knew that there would be other claims put in, and therefore recommend that their deposit should be less than what they wanted.

Paora has, I believe, a good claim to part, but much less than he would wish us to think; also a man of the name of Enoka.

He, I believe, is the tino take of Ngatikoheru, which was the tribe to whom the land belonged. I have written to Paora, telling him that I will see that his claim shall be attended to, but he wishes to refer the matter to you. You will see from a letter of his, which I enclose, that his expectations are too great. I should rather see the land first, before anything further is done, which I shall endeavour to do on my way to Whakatane, which I trust will be as soon as I can complete the two purchases now in hand, and the weather a little more settled. It would be imprudent to go at present.

If I can induce them to let the boundaries go where I want, there will be about 35,000 acres. From the calculation I have made from the map you sent me, there is more than 20,000. I shall be able to report on it on my return. Maka will be at Whitianga, and I will call on him. You will see from Paora's letter to me that he mentions the names of several persons as belonging to the land, but they are at Whakapirikau.

Paora and Enoka alone are the claimants of that tribe. There will be, I am aware, a few others from different tribes, but, as the extent is great, we shall be able to give something to all, and buy out each party's claims.

I have purchased the piece I spoke of in my last, near to W. B. Moore's, and will send the deed by the first safe opportunity. From all that I can hear, there is no opposition from any party to the sale of the land at Mercury Bay; all appear willing to sell; the great contention here is about price. The Natives have been informed that a few acres of Keven's land has been resold for £3,000, and they cannot understand what makes that of more value than the other land near to it. These things may wear off in time.

I have, &c.,

James Preece.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner, Auckland.