Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Poverty Bay, to the Native Secretary

H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., Poverty Bay, to the Native Secretary.

Intention of Natives to retalce Possession of Lands sold to Europeans. Resident Magistrate's Court, Turanga, 27th May, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honour to hand you herewith copies of letters addressed by me to the Hon. the Colonial Treasurer, dated respectively the 29th June, 1858 (No. 55), and the 21st August, 1858 (No. 73), reporting an expressed intention on the part of the Natives to retake possession of land which had been sold by them to individual Europeans. In consequence of a communication from the Commissioner of Land Claims to that effect, I represented to the Natives that he might be expected to hold a Court in this neighbourhood during the summer now just passed, and induced them to leave the cases, to which my annexed letters refer, for his decision. His not yet having visited this page 22district has therefore been a cause of disappointment to them. At a meeting of Natives held yesterday the intention I have reported was again expressed,-but, on my urging them, to abide the decision of the Commissioner, whose arrival might be immediately expected, they consented.

Under these circumstances, I have the honour to submit for the consideration of His Excellency that it is desirable a Court of Land Claims should be held in this neighbourhood at as early a date as convenient, in the hope that it may be the means of ending an agitation which is calculated to produce a bad feeling between the European residents and Natives.

I have, &c.,

Herbert S. Wardell, Resident Magistrate.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.