Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 31. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Grey to Governor Grey

No. 31.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Grey to Governor Grey.

Auckland.—Reply to Memorial of Settlers approving of the Governor's Treatment of Pre-emption Claims. Downing Street, 17th June, 1848.

Sir,—

I have the honour to acknowledge your Despatch No. 134, of the 24th December, accompanied by a memorial, addressed to me by a considerable number of the inhabitants of Auckland and the surrounding districts, expressive of their confidence of the equity and judgment with which you will deal with the outstandiug land claims in New Zealand, and of their hope that Her Majesty's Government will not be misled by any statements to the contrary, nor interfere with the powers you hold to deal with the subject. You are aware of the concurrence which I have always felt in your general views on these questions, as well as of the reliance which I have placed upon your judgment on those points upon which an opinion could only be formed on the spot. And I have to request that you will so inform the memorialists, and will acquaint them that it has been very satisfactory to me to receive their expressions of confidence in your administration.

I have, &c.,

Grey.

To Governor Grey, &c.