Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 64. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon to Governor the Most Hon. the Marquis of Normanby

page 211

No. 64.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon to Governor the Most Hon. the Marquis of Normanby.

Downing Street, 12th March, 1877.

My Lord,—

I have received with deep regret the intelligence conveyed in your Despatch No. 1, of the 6th January, of the death of Sir Donald McLean. I had already, in my Despatch No. 7, of the 14th February, expressed to you the regret with which I had heard that Sir Donald McLean had been compelled to retire from office through loss of health, and the high sense I entertained of the ability with which he had for so long conducted the administration of Native affairs. It only remains for me therefore to say how sincerely I agree with the estimate you have formed of Sir Donald McLean's public services, and of the loss New Zealand has sustained by the death of one who had rendered such distinguished service during his public career, and who, when he retired from an active part in the administration of Native affairs had, as I trusted, life and health yet left him to exercise a beneficial influence over that population for the welfare of which he had done so much.

I have, &c.,

Carnarvon.

Governor the Most Hon. the Marquis of Normanby, KC.M.GK, &c.