Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Reply. — Governor Hobson to Colonel Wakefield and Others

Reply.
Governor Hobson to Colonel Wakefield and Others.

July, 1840.Sir,—

I acknowledge with much satisfaction the address which you were deputed to present to me by the inhabitants of Port Nicholson, and I have to express my extreme gratification at receiving from them so very explicit a declaration of loyalty and attachment to the Crown and Constitution of England. At the same time, allow me to convey my sincere thanks for the very flattering sentiments of respect and consideration with which they have been pleased to honour me as the representative of Her Most Gracious Majesty. It has been a source of infinite gratification to me to learn, through the reports of the Colonial Secretary and Magistrates, the cordial support which has been rendered by all classes to the Government authorities at Port Nicholson; and I feel satisfied that the interests and prosperity of the colony will be best consulted by a continued perseverance in that line of conduct.

In conclusion, I beg to convey my thanks to you individually for the very kind and flattering manner with which you have been pleased to present the address, and to express my earnest hopes that, under the protection of Divine providence, the resources of these valuable and important Islands may be speedily developed.

I have, &c.,

W. Hobson.

Colonel Wakefield.