Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 56. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G., to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimbeeley

No. 56.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G., to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimbeeley.

Admission of Maoris into the Executive Council. Government House, Wellington, N.Z., 6th November, 1872.

My Lold,—

In my Despatch No. 86, of the 21st October ultimo, I reported the appointment to the Legislative Council of two Maori chiefs, with the object that the Native race may henceforward be represented in both Houses of the Colonial Legislature. It will be remembered that Maori members, page 208elected by their own countrymen, have sat in the House of Representatives during the last four years; and that, as I stated in my Despatch No. 79, of the 20th September ultimo, and on previous occasions, the experiment has proved a decided success.

2.It is now agreed by the leading public men of all parties that the time has arrived when Maoris should be admitted also to the Executive Council. I have long been personally in favour of this course; and I have now, with the advice of my Ministers, appointed to tho Executive Council two of the Maori members of the House of Representatives, viz.: (a) Wiremu Katene, a chief of the great northern clan of Ngapuhi; and (b) Wiremu Parata, a chief of the powerful southern clan of the Ngatiawa.
3.Both these chiefs are men of much ability, and of large influence among their countrymen. They are also good speakers, and have taken an active and intelligent part in the debates of the House to which they belong. They will now be in a far better position to give valuable advice and information on Native questions to the Government; while they will at the same time afford a ready and useful means of communication with the Native tribes. Moreover, there can be no doubt that the admission of Maoris to the Executive Council, as well as to both Houses of Parliament, will tend to increase the confidence and to confirm the loyalty of the Native race throughout the country.

I have, &c.,

G. F. Bowen.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.