Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 18. — Mr. Commissioner Spain to Governor Fitzroy

page 168

No. 18.
Mr. Commissioner Spain to Governor Fitzroy.

Relative Position of Europeans and Aborigines. Wellington, 2nd July, 1844.

(Confidential.)

Sir,—

The various communications which I have had the honour to forward by post up to this date will have put your Excellency in possession of my proceedings in the execution of my commission as fully as despatches written before the completion of the duty, and during my transit from one part of the colony to another, have afforded me the opportunity; but that portion of your Excellency's letter of the 3rd ultimo in which you are pleased to express a desire to receive further communication from me on the subject of the relative position generally of the European and aboriginal races demands my immediate attention, and I embrace the earliest opportunity of complying with your Excellency's wishes.

Further experience gained during the last six months while I have been, if not actually residing amongst, yet in constant communication with the Natives respecting disputed claims to land, has led to the confirmation to the fullest extent of the opinion I have before expressed as to the absolute necessity of the introduction into this colony of a naval and military force sufficiently strong to convince the Natives of our power to enforce obedience to the laws, and of the utter hopelessness of any attempt on their part at resistance to its execution.

I have before so often had occasion to describe the cause which, in my opinion, first led the Natives to doubt the justice of our intentions towards, and subsequently to suppose us too weak and too cowardly to attempt any coercive measures against them, that it is now needless to do more than advert to the effects produced, and the present actual state of the Natives as regards their opinions of and intentions towards the European settlers. At the same time, I wish your Excellency clearly to understand that I intend my observations to apply to the districts in the South which I have visited, and which may be totally different from the districts in the northern part of the colony where the same causes have not existed to produce similar results.

In the execution of my official duties as Commissioner in the settlements of the New Zealand Company, in investigating the claims to land of that body, it has happened that, with scarcely an exception, I have had occasion to decide in favour generally of the Natives. This circumstance would fairly lead to the inference that this race at least would now place confidence in my decisions, and show a disposition to abide by and obey them; but it is with regret that I am compelled to admit that the fact is precisely the reverse of this. In cases where they have only sought for compensation, and never denied a partial sale, the moment the amount to be paid them was decided upon they began to object to accept it, and to propose terms that could not be entertained. In fact, it appears to me that they have determined totally to disregard British law and authority, and that they have come to the conclusion that we are not strong enough to enforce the one or maintain the other. This state of things appears to me as detrimental to the interests of one race as the other, stopping the wholesome progress of colonization, and totally preventing the European settlers from benefiting the aborigines by teaching them the usefulness of habits of industry, and the advantages attendant upon civilization.

It appears to me that, before we can now carry out the philanthropic principles that were stated to be the objects of the colonization of New Zealand, it is absolutely essential that we should, by a demonstration of physical force, show our actual power; and, having once done this, I think their conviction of the real benefits conferred upon them by the residence amongst them of Europeans would speedily follow; and I am clearly of opinion that the actual introduction of a sufficient force is as necessary to the Natives as to the Europeans. In support of this argument, I beg to state that I have been assured, from undoubted authority, that the majority of the rising Native generation, who have enjoyed the advantages of education and Christianity, are of this opinion, being convinced that such a measure alone will insure the prosperity of the colony. They say: "Do not send a few soldiers: that will do no good. Send so many that there can be no mistake about the power they would have in making the old men do what they ought." And, as far as the European population is concerned, I consider that, unless the introduction of the force I have recommended takes place, an extensive colonization of these Islands cannot be hoped for or reasonably expected.

The present disposition to encroachment manifested by the Natives, and the unprotected position of the settlers in this part of the colony, are now becoming daily more visible to the European residents, and must soon become known to that portion of the English public whose attention, from various causes, is directed to the colonization of these Islands.

We have every reason to anticipate, under favourable circumstances, the influx of a considerable and influential body of colonists, and the advantages to be derived by the Native race from an intercourse with such a class of persons can scarcely be estimated.

I have now seen a great deal of the country, and I am preparing a detailed account of my late journey for your Excellency, which will afford you some interesting information, and may prove useful. One fact, however, that has every day forced itself upon my observation, I think applicable to my present argument. I have travelled over a country where I found millions of acres of first-rate available land, upon which the human foot has scarcely ever trod, showing the capability of this country for maintaining a very large population; and it does appear truly lamentable that the present few inhabitants should be differing on the subject of land, when there is so much more of that commodity available for every purpose than can be required for centuries to come.

I am clearly of opinion that at the Hutt, Whanganui, Taranaki, and other places, the Natives, attracted by European settlements, and feeling the advantages of bartering with the settlers, have come and cultivated land in the immediate neighbourhood of those places, which they would not otherwise have thought of taking possession of. Again, at Taranaki I found the Natives little disposed to abide by my award, and offering various obstructions to the settlers, not because they wanted the land themselves, but merely to prevent the Europeans from making use of it.

page 169

The places, then, that occur to me as requiring the immediate presence of a military force are….; and I should recommend an augmentation of the force at this place. I think the appearance of the soldiers, and the occasional visit of a man-of-war, would alone produce the required effect, without rendering any positive attack necessary; and I am convinced that the residence of the military would soon restore confidence between the two races, and tend to their mutual benefit. God forbid that I should recommend the introduction of a military force for the purpose of recklessly attacking the Natives. My decided opinion is that the moral effect produced by a demonstration will be alone sufficient, and will prevent the shedding of blood which must otherwise, sooner or later, take place, and which would, in all probability, end in the ultimate total destruction of the aboriginal race.

I have, &c.,

William Spain.