Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 17. — Notice by his Honour Mr. Superintendent Richmond

No. 17.
Notice by his Honour Mr. Superintendent Richmond.

Warning Settlers not to negotiate for Land within the New Zealand Company's Blocks.

Whereas it hath been represented to me that certain persons have endeavoured, or are endeavouring, to acquire a property in certain portion or tracts of land, by purchase or leases from the aboriginal inhabitants of this colony, within the limits of the blocks of land already selected, or about to be selected, under the sanction of Government, by the agents of the New Zealand Company in the settlements of Port Nicholson, at the Wairarapa, on the coast from Port Nicholson to Taranaki, at Nelson, Port Cooper, and elsewhere; and that such persons state that they are doing so under the sanction of His Excellency the Governor: Now, I hereby give notice that the Governor has consented to waive the right of pre-emption on the part of the Crown in favour of the New Zealand Company alone in the settlements and districts before mentioned; and that any bargains made by private individuals with the aborigines for the purpose of acquiring land, whether by purchase, lease, or otherwise, within such districts, above mentioned, will not be sanctioned or recognized by the Government.

I therefore hereby warn all persons from entering into any such negotiation with the aborigines, which can only end in the loss and disappointment of the parties concerned, besides having a decided tendency to obstruct and, in a great measure, retard the settlement of the very important questions in the course of adjudication between the Government, the New Zealand Company, and the aborigines; upon the final adjustment of which the prosperity of these settlements so much depends.

M. Richmond,

Superintendent Southern Division, New Zealand. Wellington, 2nd April, 1844.