Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 13. — R. Vernon Smith, Esq., to J. Somes, Esq

No. 13.
R. Vernon Smith, Esq., to J. Somes, Esq.

Wellington.—In Reply to Complaints of New Zealand Company against Governor Hobson. Downing Street, 19th August, 1841.

Sir,—

I am directed by Lord John Russell to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 29th ultimo, in which you complain of the unfavourable view which Governor Hobson appears to take on all occasions of the proceedings of the New Zealand Company, and of its agent and officers in the colony. His Lordship desires me to acquaint you, in reply, that the friendly relations which it is so important to maintain between the Governor of New Zealand and the Company's agents would, in his opinion, be rather impeded than advanced by making the subject of correspondence and admonition those misunderstandings which unfortunately have arisen while the parties were in ignorance of the negotiations which passed between the Company and Her Majesty's Government at the close of last year.

I have, &c.,

R. Vernon Smith.