Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Governor Gore Browne to Messrs. Hart, Carlyon, and Others

Governor Gore Browne to Messrs. Hart, Carlyon, and Others.

The Governor's Reply. Government House, Auckland, 29th October, 1860.

Gentlemen,—

I beg to offer you my sincere thanks for the address I have received from you by the last mail. I can assure you that from the moment of my arrival in the colony to the present time I have earnestly endeavoured to promote the welfare of both races of Her Majesty's subjects, by every means in my power. It is most gratifying for me to know that so large a portion of the inhabitants of the oldest settlement in New Zealand approve the course which it has been my painful duty to pursue at Taranaki, and agree in thinking that the war could not have been avoided without serious detriment page 152to the Queen's supremacy and the best interests of both races. You will readily perceive that I could not venture to express any distinct opinion in reference to the future, but I can have no hesitation in assuring you that, however much I may desire the speedy re-establishment of peace, I do not wish to see it effected on any terms but such as would afford a reasonable expectation of permanence.

I have, &c.,

T. Gore Browne.

Messrs. Hart, Carlyon, and others, Wellington.