Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure. — Hone Ropiha to Governor Wynyard

Enclosure.
Hone Ropiha to Governor Wynyard.

New Plymouth.Requesting Troops to be sent.

Friend Governor Wynward,—

Te Purakau, 30th June.

Salutations to you! This is a word from me to you for some men. The thought is with you about sending them, as protectors for us, for the English and Maoris of this place, of New. Plymouth. Do you consent to some soldiers for us. This word is from me alone—from Hone Ropiha. If you say that on this request being made to you by a number you will accede to it, thereupon will the people assemble and write to you, that you may consent to some companions for us. Friend, Governor Wynyard, this is an old word of mine to Governor Fitzroy, but he did not agree to it. My second word was to Governor Grey; neither did he agree. Now it is for you to consent. It is right for me to write to you, because I carry out the laws, namely, your good customs. Mr. McLean and I urged this request upon those two who have returned to England, and Mr. Cooper will send this letter to you. All those good customs of yours are carefully observed by me. I shall never leave them off. I am like a rock which cannot be overwhelmed by waves. That is all. It is ended.

From Hone Ropiha te Kekeu,
Waiwakaiho.

Governor Wynward.