Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14 — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to his Honour the Superintendent of Taranaki

No. 14
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to his Honour the Superintendent of Taranaki.

Loan Ordinance for Purchase of Native Lands disallowed.

Sir,—

Colonial Secretary's Office, Auckland, 21st February, 1854.

I have had the honour to receive and lay before His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government your Honour's letter of the 7th instant, No. 1/132, enclosing a certified copy of an ordinance to authorize the raising of a loan for the purchase of Native lands within the Province of New Plymouth, to which you had assented on behalf of His Excellency.

In reply, I am instructed to intimate to your Honour that His Excellency regrets that he is under the necessity of disallowing the ordinance in question, which will be done immediately the necessary Proclamation has been prepared: but I am, at the same time, directed to state that any advance to the Province of New Plymouth for the purchase of land from the Natives, which may appear advisable on receiving the report of Mr. Commissioner McLean on the subject; will be made from funds available for the purpose.

I have, &c.,

Andrew Sinclair,
Colonial Secretary.

His Honour the Superintendent, Province of New Plymouth.