Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 1. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies

page 119

No. 1.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies.

Remarks on Report of the Chief Protector. Government House, Auckland, New Ulster, 15th December, 1841.

My Lord,—

I have the honour to forward the half-yearly report of the Protector of Aborigines, Mr. Clarke, in which he sets forth the very peaceable and tractable state of the Native population; but, at the same time, he remarks upon the apprehensions entertained by them respecting their land; and I certainly admit that a people who are in the highest degree jealous of their territorial rights, and amongst whom those rights are very imperfectly defined, are not unlikely to resort to force sooner or later, rather than suffer the occupation of lands which may have been fairly bought from one tribe, but are claimed with great apparent justice by another.

I take for instance the Waikato Tribe, under the chief Te Wherowhero, who are extremely powerful. They conquered and drove away the Ngatiawas from Taranaki in 1834, leaving only a small remnant, who found refuge in-the mountains of Cape Egmont; and having pretty well laid waste the country, and carried off a large number of slaves, they retired to their own district on the banks of the River Waikato. It appears that in 1839 Colonel Wakefield visited the country, and bought a considerable portion of it from the few Ngatiawas who had resumed their, habitations on the retreat of Te Wherowhero. Now, Te Wherowhero claims the country as his by right of conquest, and insists on it that the remnant of the Ngatiawas are slaves; that they only live at Taranaki by sufferance; and that they had no right whatsoever to sell the land without his consent. In illustration of his argument he placed a heavy ruler on some light papers, saying, "Now, so long as I choose to keep this weight here the papers remain quiet, but if I remove it the wind immediately blows them away: so it is with the people of Taranaki;" alluding to his power to drive them off. Te Wherowhero certainly has a claim to the land, but not a primary one, as the received rule is that those who occupy the land must first be satisfied. But he is the most powerful chief in New Zealand, and I fear will not be governed by abstract rights, but will take the law into his own hands. I had hopes until a few days ago that he would consent to take a moderate compensation for his claim, but he suddenly broke off a negotiation entered into with him because, his conditions being large, I determined on referring them to Colonel. Wakefield before I paid the price stipulated. Where he has gone, or what his intentions are, I cannot yet learn; but he will probably call on me again when his impatience has moderated.

I have mentioned this case as the type of a hundred others merely to show your Lordship how difficulty it is, unsupported by power, to conclude any real bargain with the Natives, for it is clear that in this case Te Wherowhero has presumed on his imposing position, and on my evident weakness; and I am compelled to assume an independence which I certainly cannot maintain.

Mr. Clarke very properly calls my attention to the want felt in all the districts of sub-protectors for the direction and instruction of the Native population, but I am wholly unable to find suitable persons for the office….

Hitherto purchases of land from the Natives have been effected through Mr. Clarke; but his dealings with them in these matters interfere in some measure, I fear, with his conservative vocation of' Protector; for although he, as an individual, acts most conscientiously both towards the Natives and the, Government, yet there is no natural connection between the office of a land commissioner who buys land for the Government and that of protector of the rights and liberties of the aboriginal proprietors of the soil. The New Zealanders are a shrewd people, and are not a little apt to attribute all the kindness and advice Mr. Clarke may offer them to the more sordid view of obtaining their lands; besides which, he is often obliged to place himself in a false position with regard to them while resisting their unreasonable demands for large payments.

It is for your Lordship to make any other arrangement you may please; but, in the present low state of our finances, I cannot with propriety recommend the employment of an additional officer. Yet I feel it my duty to call your Lordship's attention to the case, and to request you will at some future period provide against this anomaly…..

Subsequently to the foregoing letter being drafted, and prior to the date which shows the time of its transmission, a most bloodthirsty murder has been reported at the Bay of Islands, the particulars of which shall form the subject of another despatch, which I have the honour to forward herewith.

I have, &c.,

W.Hobson.